Design Engineer III or V - Connectors
5 - 7 years experience • Manufacturing / Electronics
Design and develop new products and technology to high quality standards and consistent with business strategy and processes.
Duties and Responsibilites
- Support, contribute and promote a safe work environment.
- Develops technology and standards to ensure designs are technologically competitive.
- Designs and develops new products to support the assigned product line.
- Interprets customer specifications and translates them into design, manufacturing, quality, and testing requirements.
- Evaluates, mitigates and communicates product design risks.
- Participates and contributes to project management direction and communication.
- Provide technical support to organizational stakeholders (Production, Quality, Marketing and Sales).
- Consult withSales in quoting customer requirements and bid preparation.
- Participate and contribute to team training, development, mentoring and audits.
- Demonstrate behaviors consistent with company policies.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor?s degree in Engineering (Mechanical Engineeringpreferred)
- 5 or more years of design engineeringexperience; strong preference for experience with design of electrical contact materials and platings, engineering grade machined and molded polymers.
- Able to work and set priorities independently with minimal assistance.
- Knowledge of electrical contact materials and platings.
- Knowledge of engineering grade machined and molded polymers.
- Understanding of CNC machining, molding, deep drawing, screw machining and stamping manufacturing methods.
- Knowledge of strain relief or over-moulding techniques and principles
- Knowledge of RF, Digital, Analog and Power contacts and connectors.
- Knowledge of MIL-Spec and other Space/Defense/Aerospace industry specifications strongly preferred.
- Ability to perform Root Cause Analysis utilizing standard problem solving tools and methodologies.
- Experiencewith 3D modeling using drawing and simulation packages; Solidworks experiencepreferred.
- Knowledge of FMEA tool and FMEA tolerances
- Tolerance stack-up capability
Smiths Interconnect () is a leading provider of electronic components, subsystems, microwave and radio frequency products that connect, protect and control critical applications in the commercial aviation, defense, space, semiconductor test, medical, rail, industrial and test and measurement markets. Smiths Interconnect?s high technology brands (EMC, RF Labs, Lorch Hypertac, IDI, TRAK, TECOM, and Millitech) are synonymous with exceptional performance whenever a technologically advanced, high quality solution is requested to ensure reliability and safety. Blue chip customers include Raytheon, BAE Systems, Finmeccanica-Leonardo, Airbus, NVIDIA, Qualcomm, Alstom, and Biosense Webster, just to name a few. One of five divisions of Smiths Group, Smiths Interconnect employs over 2000 people globally withlocations in the US, Mexico, Costa Rica, UK, France, Germany, Italy, Tunisia, Singapore, and China, and a global sales and distributionnetwork.
Smiths Interconnect is an EEO/AA Employer/Vet/Disabled