The Design Engineer creates electrical schematics and BOMs for new equipment designs and modifies existing designs to create new equipment variations. Creation of or modification to PCBs, equipment, components, machinery and systems is required. Reverse engineering electrical design of obsolete equipment and systems is typical. Works with the engineering, project management and production teams to ensure projects are well executed and completed in a timely manner.
Education, Certifications, Licenses & Registrations:
Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering with 2 years of analog electronics design experiencerequired. PCB CAD training/ certification.
- Power supply design experience is highly desirable.
- Electronics production experience. Hands on test experience in a lab or technical bench setting.
- Experience using software based PBC design tools for schematic capture, circuit simulation, BOM creation and PBC layout (OrCAD, PADS, Altium, Spice, etc.).
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Specialized math and physics knowledge specific to AC electrical theory and DC electrical theory. Must be able to apply theory through the use of applicable mathematics.
- Strong problem solving skills, capable of coming up with creative approaches for generating new ideas and improving existing processes or products.
- Power supply operation and design, analog electronics hardware design, technical, analytical, communication and management skills.
- Attention to detail and disciplined.
- Coordinator with Order Entry, Sales and Engineering on strategic planning activities (new designs, lead times).
- Contract review.
- Technical execution of projects/orders and coordinating with Business Segment Team and supporting engineering staff.
- Review customer specifications and conduct technical risk assessments.
- Technical oversight of all related project deliverables and associated submittals to customers.
- Test and review data.
- Technical oversight of all projects related to NCRs/SDRs/DRs and shop requests.
- Focus on product/process development using engineering principles to increase the efficiency and value of the business.
- Ensure the resulting product will be safe, reliable and economically viable.
- Utilize cost effective mechanisms while improving overall productivity.
- Create reports and presentations for project managers and clients on a per need basis.
- Calculate various factors to ensure that the design will realistically be possible.
- Prepare, review or approve safety related documentation such as: test plans, test reports, test data, equivalency reports, FMEA, MTBF, technical evaluations and manuals.
- Oversee the electronics design efforts.
- Work in a leadership role to develop internal electronics, design expertise.
- Strong analytical, communication, and interpersonal skills both verbally and written.
- Computer and office equipment, various measurement and test equipment.
- Other duties as assigned.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions. General office work environment, noise level is usually quiet to moderate as compared to private office with light traffic and computer printers.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use arms, hands and fingers to handle, feel and reach. Talk, hear and specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision. On occasion the employee is required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must be able to lift up to 30lbs.