The men and women of Electric Operations ensure the delivery of safe and reliable electric service to our customers. Electric Operations is responsible for every aspect of PG&E's electric distribution and transmission operations, including planning, engineering, maintenance and construction, asset management, business planning, restoration and emergency response.
The Engineering and Design team of Transmission Operations Transmission Line Engineering is responsible for electrical and civil engineering work for all of PG&E’s transmission lines. Transmission Line design includes structure design, line design, hardware design, and all components on transmission line assets.
This position is represented by Engineers and Scientist of California (ESC) subject to collective bargaining.
As a Transmission Line Design Engineer, you will be the vital link between the Company and widespread interconnection of generation; increase in capacity demand (residential, commercial and industrial); and system reliability improvements in California. Your role will be to ensure that the Company provides excellent service for these projects. We are looking for motivated, self-driven individuals who enjoy hands-on engineering, have excellent communications skills, high energy, and enjoy working in a team environment. If this describes you, then Transmission Line Engineering Services Department can offer you a challenging and rewarding career.
- Actively promote safe practices and conduct in accordance with the Corporate Safety policy.
- Accomplish the department goal of zero injuries & avoidable auto incidents.
- Foster team work, innovation and embrace new approaches to accomplish our work more efficiently and effectively.
- Coordinate project information (studies, sketches, computations, other complex data) for the engineering and construction of electric transmission facilities including equipment relocations and replacements, capacity additions, reliability and automation improvements. This involves interfacing with other disciplines (such as civil, substation and protection engineers), and reviewing existing facilities and developing conceptual designs.
- Prepare Electrical Transmission design drawings using MiscroStation & PLS-CADD software. Drawings include structure requirement drawings, structure data sheets, plan and profile drawings, stringing drawings, arrangement drawings, hardware drawings, phasing drawings, etc.
- Prepare bill of materials, conductor studies, reports, and presentations using Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, and other applications.
- Conduct design review meetings with project teams.
- Provide Construction Administration assistance to the Responsible Engineer, including review of shop drawings, RFIs and submittals.
- Ensure delivery of high-quality design products on budget, on time, and on purpose.
- Foster team work and innovation and embrace new approaches to accomplish our work more efficiently and effectively.
- Travel 10% of the time.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering or its equivalent in education and experience, to include education and design drafting experience totaling six years, or education and experience totaling four years including two years at PG&E as a Design Drafter or Senior Design Drafter
- Must possess and maintain a valid Class C California Driver's License (or higher) by Day 1 of hire
- Strong communication, organizational and leadership skills
- Familiarity with PG&E standards and processes
- PE/EIT certification
- Experience in electrical transmission design using MicroStation or AutoCAD or PLS-CADD.
- Fluent with Microsoft office, outlook, word, excel, PowerPoint and access programs