This position is represented by Engineers and Scientist of California (ESC) subject to collective bargaining.
As a substation Design Engineer, you will be the vital link between the Company and its mission to safely and reliably deliver affordable and clean energy to customers and communities every single day, while building the energy network of tomorrow. In this position, you will be performing engineering design duties which requires the application of engineering principles and knowledge of substation fundamentals. We are looking for motivated, self-driven individuals who enjoy hands-on engineering, have excellent communication skills, high energy, and enjoy working in a team environment. If this describes you, then the Substation Engineering Services Department can offer you a challenging and rewarding career.
- Actively promote safe practices and conduct in accordance with the Corporate Safety policy.
- Accomplish the department goal of zero injuries & avoidable auto incidents.
- Foster teamwork, innovation, and embrace new ideas to accomplish work more efficiently.
- Coordinate project information (studies, sketches, computations, other complex data) for the engineering and construction of electric substation facilities including equipment relocations and replacements, capacity additions, reliability and automation improvements. This involves interfacing with other disciplines (such as Civil, Automation and Protection Engineers), and reviewing existing facilities and developing conceptual designs.
- Prepare Electrical Substation design drawings using Bentley MicroStation Software. Drawings include single line diagram, general arrangement, grounding, conduit routing, controls and protections schematics.
- Checks drawings, designs, or other work.
- Generate bill of materials, circuit and conduit schedules to accommodate design packages used in construction.
- Provide technical support throughout the projects’ lifecycle.
- Conduct design and constructability review meetings with project teams.
- Ensure delivery of high-quality design products on budget, on time, and on purpose that meets our engineering standards, criteria and guidelines.
- Travel 10-20% of the time.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering or its equivalent in education and experience, to include education and design drafting experience totaling six years, or education and experience totaling four years including two years at PG&E as a Design Drafter or Senior Design Drafter
- Must possess and maintain a valid Class C California Driver's License (or higher) by Day 1 of hire
- Strong communication, organizational, detailed oriented, problem solving and leadership skills
- Demonstrate teamwork, innovation, and the flexibility to embrace change in order to accomplish work more efficiently
- Strong ability to adhere to and apply professional standards and processes
- PE/EIT certification
- Experience in electrical substation design using MicroStation,
or AutoCAD, or Bentley 3D software
- Fluent with the Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access)