The Human Energy of S&C
Integrity, enthusiasm, sustained energy. These are the traits that S&C has always looked for and found when seeking people to join our 100% employee-owned team. S&C supports these qualities with a strong package of pay and benefits, excellent education and training programs, a challenging work environment, and broad opportunities for advancement.
Address of Location: 6601 N Ridge Blvd, IL, Chicago 60626
Education Requirements: Bachelor's Required
Relevant Work Experience Requirements: 4 to 5 Years
S&C is the specialist in high-voltage switching, protection and control, providing products for the electric power industry since 1911. Underground Switching and Protection (US&P) is responsible for S&C’s underground distribution products, including Vista UDS, Vista SD, Pad-Mounted Gear and Custom Metal-Enclosed Switchgear. In this position you will report to the Assistant Manager – Product Engineering in the US&P group. Your primary responsibilities will be to provide engineering support to manufacturing and to external customers with regard to the manufacture and design of the US&P products. The position requires a basic understanding and application of both electrical power and mechanical engineering principles.
The responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Solve design and manufacturing related problems through use of fundamental engineering calculations and theory.
- Modify existing designs or develop new designs of components and subsystems, under the direction of senior engineering personnel, either alone or collaborating with a team of engineers and designers.
- Conduct studies and make analysis, interpretations, and conclusions under guidance and supervision.
- Coordinate and perform product testing under guidance and supervision.
- Prepare reports and presentations for customers in a manner which enhances S&C’s engineering reputation.
- Interact with customers on the phone or in the field to resolve design, manufacturing or application related problems.
- Perform engineering support functions for manufacturing.
To select this job as one of interest to you, at a minimum, you must have the following:
- Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering. MS degree preferred.
- Good PC skills including proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Experience using CAD software, use of SolidEdge is a plus.
- Knowledge of electrical engineering fundamentals and theory with an emphasis on power engineering.
- Very good interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Able to prioritize workload to complete multiple projects with varying deadlines.
MAJOR PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Standing: Occasional, during testing, sample preparation or process observation.
- Lifting: Occasional light lifting, infrequent lifting up to 50 lbs. for mock-up or test sample preparation.
- Walking: Occasional walking up to 1 mile within the company facility.
- Carrying: Occasional carrying of light objects for short distances.
- Pushing: Infrequent use of manual hand truck to move samples or mock-ups.
- Pulling: Infrequent use of manual hand truck to move samples or mock-ups.
- Bending: Occasional bending during mock-up assembly or test sample preparation.
- Reaching: Occasional reaching during mock-up assembly or test sample preparation.
- Handling: Occasional handling of parts and tools during mock-up assembly or test sample preparation.
- Environment: Physical demands are those mostly associated with a regular office environment but may spend time on a manufacturing floor.