The Design Engineer creates electrical designs along with schematics and BOMs for new equipment designs and modifies existing designs to create new equipment variations. Documentation must be developed for all steps before, during and after the design. The ability to understand and follow detailed processes and procedures and adhere to deadlines is required. A strong understanding of electronics, datasheets and legacy designs will be required along with thorough knowledge of test principles, troubleshooting and problem solving at the component level. Creation of or modification to PCBs, equipment, components and systems is required. Reverse engineering electrical design of obsolete equipment and systems is typical, along with researching obsolete parts and locating a source or creating a new design to perform the function. Works with the engineering, project management and production teams to ensure projects are well executed and completed in a timely manner. A high functional level with interpersonal skills, technical writing and verbal/written communication is critical.
Education, Certifications, Licenses & Registrations:
Bachelor's degree or higher in Electrical Engineering with 8+ years of industry analog electronics design experience. Power supply design experience required. Electronics production experiencerequired. Hands on test experience in a lab or bench setting with safety awareness. Programming experience in low and high level languages with standard and embedded systems required.
Preferred: National Society of Professional Engineers, Professional Engineer license (state issued), PCB CAD training certification
- Power supply operation and design, analog electronics hardware design, technical, analytical, communication and management skills. Attention to detail and disciplined.
- Experience using PADs or OrCAD for schematic capture. Experience using software to perform circuit simulation. PCB layout experience is a plus.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Specialized math and physics knowledge specific to AC electrical theory and DC electrical theory. Must be able to apply theory through the use of applicable mathematics, including advanced circuit analysis and control theory.
- A Design Engineer is expected to have strong problem-solving skills, capable of coming up with creative approaches for generating new ideas and improving existing processes or products.
- Attention to detail and disciplined. Must be comfortable working in a task-based engineering environment as part of a team.
- Contract review.
- Coordinate with order Entry, Sales and Engineering on strategic planning activities (new designs, lead times).
- Review customer specifications and conduct technical risk assessments.
- Technical execution of project/orders and coordinating with Business Segment Team and supporting engineering staff.
- Technical oversight of all related project deliverables and associated submittals to customers.
- Technical oversight of all related NCRs/SDRs/DRs and shop requests.
- Focus on product/process development using engineering principles to increase the efficiency and value of the business. Ensuring that the project will be safe, dependable and economically viable.
- Utilize cost effective mechanisms while improving overall productivity.
- Create reports and presentations for project managers and clients on a per need basis.
- Calculate various factors to ensure that the design will realistically be possible.
- Electrical design, documentation, test plans, equivalency reports, FMEA, technical manuals, project management, legacy engineering support, design, prepare, review and approve.
- Directs the design effort.
- Works in a leadership role to develop conceptual and detailed designs.
- Follows the product through the processes and makes or requests changes.
- Provides direction and feedback to manufacturing.
- Mentor junior engineers.
- Other duties as assigned.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions. General office work environment, noise level is usually quiet to moderate as compared to private office with light traffic and computer printers.
Normal working hours for this position. Additional time as required to complete projects within a deadline.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use arms, hands and fingers to handle, feel and reach. Talk, hear and specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision. On occasion the employee is required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must be able to lift up to 30lbs.