Let’s talk about building a rewarding career
You’ve got the passion. You’ve got the skills. Now you just need the right opportunity. At Wells Fargo, you’ll have the chance to join a team of smart and talented people who share the same values. Our diverse lines of business offer a world of opportunity to expand your capabilities and advance your career. We invest in our people and provide a supportive environment in which to learn and grow.
Wells Fargo & Company (NYSE: WFC) is a diversified, community-based financial services company with $1.8 trillion in assets. Founded in 1852 and headquartered in San Francisco, Wells Fargo provides banking, insurance, investments, mortgage, and consumer and commercial finance through 8,700 locations, 13,000 ATMs, the internet (wellsfargo.com) and mobile banking, and has offices in 36 countries to support customers who conduct business in the global economy. With approximately 265,000 team members, Wells Fargo serves one in three households in the United States. Wells Fargo & Company was ranked No. 30 on Fortune’s 2015 rankings of America’s largest corporations. Wells Fargo’s vision is to satisfy our customers’ financial needs and help them succeed financially. Wells Fargo perspectives are also available at Wells Fargo Blogs and Wells Fargo Stories.
Enterprise Transformation Services (ETS) partners across the company providing a continuum of strategic services and foundational capabilities to catalyze transformation. Leveraging our expertise, we identify, champion, and develop fundamentally new ways of working.
Part of ETS, the Strategic Design practice bridges human-centered design and business strategy. As an internal consultancy, we partner with teams to solve complex systemic challenges (customer-facing and internal), and cultivate innovative ways of working across the enterprise. We’re a small, diverse, intrapreneurial team with an awesome culture. The eight people making up the team bring their experience from consulting (IDEO, Comrade, Deloitte), academia (CCA, Stanford), and the corporate world (Wells Fargo, Autodesk, etc.). We are looking for a Design Director with deep expertise in consulting and design to help lead change in context of a large organization.
Some recent projects include developing a new point of view for key customer segments, re-imagining the strategy, structure and operating model of an internal function, prototyping and testing product/service concepts with users, and advising on an iterative approach to product development.
KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES (ESSENTIAL POSITION FUNCTIONS):
- You will be called on to lead high-profile projects and to guide teams across ongoing projects. Projects range from developing foundational insights, to designing and prototyping product + service offerings, to guiding strategy and organizational alignment across functional areas.
- You will help define and shape what good looks like, helping teams uphold a high standard across all aspects of the engagements we tackle – from design research, to concept design, to visual communication, to articulating business rationale. This will demand a pragmatic balance of exerting a strong POV with the ability to let go and hand-off work to junior design strategists and internal clients when needed
- Beyond project work, you will have a unique opportunity to be instrumental in defining and growing Strategic Design as an internal consultancy.
This position is challenging as it aims high in impacting how a giant financial organization serves its’ customers. The position is rewarding as there is openness and opportunity to have impact through design. The position is fun as you will be working with a team that challenges each other towards excellence and prides itself on its sense of humor.
This role requires a person with a wealth of independent thinking, comfort with ambiguity, curiosity and an entrepreneurial/learning mindset. Self-motivated and flexible, this person will be adept at both creative and analytical thinking, excited by the possibility of introducing new things and fostering change in the context of a large organization.
A Successful Team Member Will Demonstrate:
- Being comfortable and proficient in both human-centered design and business strategy. This is a prerequisite because Strategic Design designs solutions that balance what is desirable to consumers, with what is economically viable and feasible for the organization to develop, so you must be able to help guide efforts in all three areas.
- Experience with design-led problem solving, and end-to-end design process skills (ex. design research, ideation, prototyping, testing and visual communication). A proven track record of developing products, services and/or strategies with a design process, and successfully consulting across functions.
- Experience leading complex projects. This will likely include leading more junior team members, modeling effective behaviors, and influencing fellow leaders. Competency in design skills (ex. Design Research; Synthesis, Storytelling, Facilitation, Concept Development, Service Design, Visual and Communication Design, Prototyping)
- Consulting & Influence: Ability and confidence to provide direction to leaders and ask difficult questions in a productive manner, able to be agile and to model a learning mindset. Excellent interpersonal skills and collaborative style with the ability to influence without authority, inspire engagement, and drive diverse stakeholders to a common solution
- Impeccable communication skills. Able to present complex topics in a simple and compelling manner
- 8+ years of strategic planning experience
- Ability to identify and manage complex issues and negotiate solutions within a geographically dispersed organization
- Facilitation skills, including ability to facilitate decision-making and broker agreements amongst diverse, differing, and/or conflicting perspectives/priorities
- Ability to effectively assess stakeholder, partner, or client needs while consulting, building solutions, and developing processes
- Experience building partnerships and consulting effectively with leadership
Other Desired Qualifications
• Experience leading high-profile projects leveraging HCD approaches or similar methods for problem solving
• Experience facilitating problem solving for diverse teams and problem spaces
• Experience providing design direction for project teams
• Prior experience in design and/or innovation consulting