Dotdash is seeking a Design Director, Publishing Platforms, who will work in partnership with leaders of our Product, Tech, Data Science and Content groups to shape the tools our team of over 700 writers and editors use to craft content that helps hundreds of millions of monthly users answer questions, solve problems, and find inspiration on topics they deeply care about. This role reports directly to the Executive Creative Director.
About Your Contributions:
You will drive the design vision and strategy of our publishing platform, leading a small team of UX designers and researchers in the development of a design language system that will align and enhance our publishing client & internal team dashboards. You and your team will lead in the creation of artifacts—user scenarios, user flows, experience maps, service blueprints, and wireframes—that get us to elegant solutions. You will conduct qualitative and quantitative studies and share tangible findings and prioritized recommendations, ensuring outcomes align to product and business goals. You will also articulate conceptual and directional choices to internal and external business partners, and take part in design leadership initiatives, including design advocacy and stakeholder outreach and education.
- You have at least seven (7) years of design experience at a media company, software publisher or agency with a strong focus on publishing platforms, UX Design and Research, Interaction Design, and UI.
- You have at least three (3) years of experience managing small teams, with proven mentoring and supervisory skills.
- You have strong depth of field— going macro with strategy, but can get micro with execution when the need arises.
- You are well-versed in publishing systems and strategies, and have extensive experience developing design language systems
- You can establish empathy with content editors, writers and others who must use publishing tools to accomplish their core workflows
- You have a proven track record of recommending and bringing research, process, and tools to an organization.
- You have the ability to distill information from diverse research and reporting in a concise and actionable way
- You have superior time management and organizational skills, and the ability to coach others to work across multiple projects and deadlines
- You have exceptional communication and presentation skills
- You have a command of current research methods and design trends, a curiosity for new technologies and a proven ability to innovate how people engage with products
- You have an understanding of the Atomic Design methodology
- You have an expert understanding of user-centered design principles with experience facilitating design thinking methodologies
- You have a degree in Graphic Design, Interactive Design, or equivalent work experience
- You have a compelling, web-based portfolio of work