The Design Director, Master Planning is a new position that will be responsible for creating the planning vision for new, redevelopment and expansion projects which may encompass retail and mixed use components. Simon is investing in our future. Over the next three years, Simon will invest over $3 billion in new development and redevelopment projects to enhance and expand some of our best properties, thus further diversifying and increasing the quality and reach of our portfolio. We are continuously evaluating our portfolio to enhance the Simon®experience—places where people choose to shop and retailers want to be. This is an opportunity for someone to use his/her site planning experience on large transformation redevelopment projects and be part of an effort to evolve our “best in class” regional shopping malls into the next generation of destination retail environments. This position involves significant C-suite interaction which will require the ability to effectively communicate with C-Suite executives while advancing redevelopment plans, as well as responding appropriately to executive and stakeholder feedback.
The successful candidate’s responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
- Using demonstrated ability of place-making, work with the Simon Development team to develop mixed-use and/or multi-use site plans for retail projects that are appealing to consumers and create a sense of place. These may include any of the following components: retail, food, fitness, entertainment, residential, hospitality, and office. Provide iterative planning services to bring innovative site planning solutions to existing and new development.
- Work with Development and Leasing Teams to evaluate and determine the market demands/opportunities, as well as the financial viability and leaseability of site plan alternatives. Assist the teams in evaluating the physical execution/ phasing of the proposed projects.
- Develop site plans and master plans on existing commercial properties while considering design constraints such as: parking requirements, lease expirations, utility easements, property boundaries, FAR requirements etc.
- Use knowledge of New Urbanism principals, as they can be flexibly applied to existing operating facilities, and planning theory as it relates to the redevelopment of commercial/ retail development to research recent, similar planning and architectural projects in order to provide up-to-date ideas to Management.
- Contribute planning services and vision to bring innovative site planning to existing and new development.
- Reporting – provide project updates and reports as required.
- Bachelors (BS or BA) degree; degree in Architecture or Planning is preferred. AICP preferred.
- Minimum of 20years of industry experience, with 5-7 years of experience as the lead design professional in an Architecture/Planning, Real Estate Consulting or Development Company focused on retail
- Demonstrated creative ability to design a retail site plan that consumers experience as an appealing sense of place.
- Experience with designing sites as part of a larger transformational redevelopment program.
- Site planning experience that is primarily retail led but also has a mixed-use component. Knowledge and experience of how mixed-use plans have complimentary but also discrete needs by use.
- Understanding of New Urbanist and planning theory as it relates to the redevelopment of commercial/ retail developments. Ability to do both urban and suburban site planning.
- General understanding of zoning and planning regulations as related to large scale mixed-use and commercial properties.
- Ability to design transformational plans with a logical sequencing, preserving all critical aspects of retained operational portions of the site, through a single or phased implementation of the transformation.
- Demonstrated ability to graphically communicate site planning ideas through both hand and 2D/3D computer drawings. Working knowledge of rendering programs such as Photoshop, Illustrator and SketchUp to enhance the graphic presentation.
- Effective written and verbal communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously with minimal direction.