MLS is looking for a talented, thoughtful and impact-oriented Design Director to lead UI and UX work across our portfolio of digital products, bringing experience and collaborative energy to the ongoing evolution of our overall digital experience.
As Design Director, you will be involved in all aspects of user experience design, working with a small team to research, ideate, direct and design modern digital product experiences that have a real impact on our fans and our business. Your projects will span from small—new features or optimizations of existing experiences—to very large—extending and evolving our new network of league and club websites—and you will be involved throughout the process from planning to launch. In addition, you will function as a leader in our Digital Experience team, working closely with Product and Engineering teams to make sure all of our work is rooted in smart strategy and delivering great real-life experiences for our fans.
The ideal candidate will have a high standard for quality, a serious attention to detail, an insatiable curiosity about interaction design and a passion for soccer (or at least sports). If all that resonates with you, let’s talk.
- Lead the UX and UI design of the new MLSsoccer.com and our network of club sites
- Propose effective UX solutions to a variety of challenges across our digital product portfolio
- Create high-level wireframes, mockups and prototypes when needed to set direction of product features and experiences
- Present and advocate for UX work with teams across the organization
- Lead user research efforts to inform UX and design decisions
- Execute competitive research, trendspotting and data analysis to inform UX ideation and design
- Direct, inspire and mentor a small team of UX/UI designers who’ll help you execute on these projects
- Ensure that the final product maintains a top-class experience and visual design standard through attention to detail and collaboration with engineering at every step
- Maintain and extend our existing Experience Design style and component libraries
- Manage experience design tooling and process
- Additional responsibilities as assigned.
- 7+ years experience in product design
- 3+ years as a team leader
- Portfolio demonstrating a track record of creating successful digital product experiences
- High-level of commitment to a quality work product and organizational ethics, integrity and compliance
- Ability to work effectively in a fast paced, team environment
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively communicate, both verbally and in writing
- Demonstrated decision making and problem-solving skills
- Detail-oriented with the ability to multi-task and meet deadlines with minimal supervision
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Mastery of Sketch/Figma and Adobe Creative Suite
- Familiarity with modern UX/UI workflows and support tools like Zeplin, InVision and Principle
- Clear, empathetic and persuasive communication ability in-person and online
- Passion for sports (soccer a major plus)
- Knowledge of the Spanish Language (business proficiency)
- Knowledge of the sport of soccer
- Ability to travel and to work non-traditional hours, including evenings, weekends, and holidays
Please submit a link to your portfolio.