As a key member of our Corporate Design Management Group, the Design-Build Coordinator/Manager will work to support Flatiron’s growing workload of complex alternative delivery projects across North America. Reporting to the pursuit Manager, you will take a lead role in the coordination of project stakeholders during the pursuit stage of large scale Design Build and/or P3 projects.
- Manage the lead design firm’s services during procurement and establish a design budget and cost tracking system.
- Generate design deliverables list and design schedule for the pursuit.
- Establish required level of pre-bid design and review and approve all design-related questions/clarifications to Owner (in conjunction with the Lead Estimator and/or Pursuit Project Manager).
- Monitor design development against procurement schedule and budget.
- Establish and track the development of design deliverables, ensuring quality and on-time completion.
- Assure that the Proposal document includes intent, enhancements and benefits generated in the design process.
- Ensure constructability of design and compliance with RFP specifications.
- Lead all task forces associated with the design and coordinate the interface between design and estimating teams, both in-house and external. Participate in all peer reviews, and evaluation of construction means & methods meetings.
- Lead Value Engineering workshops at the outset of the bid in close coordination Flatirons in-house Technical Services and Construction Engineering groups.
- Lead/manage the brainstorming and development of Alternative Technical Concepts (ATCs) with task forces.
- Organize and lead coordination meetings between estimators and designers to review the Release for Estimating (RFE) design documents, ensuring information is clear and complete.
- Determine where independent design checks are required (typically for high risk structures and foundations).
- Draft and gain approval from the Business Development Manager for post-bid design scope and fee with Designer.
- Develop post-bid design schedule with Designer, and coordinate/integrate with constructionschedule through estimating staff.
- Provide support to other areas of the Design Management Group whenever is required.
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil or Structural Engineering from an accredited institution and 10+ years related industry experience in Heavy Civil Construction
- 5+ years of related Design Coordination/Management experience on alternative delivery projects valued at $300M+ (Design–Build or P3). Professional Engineer (PE) preferred.
- Demonstrated aptitude to understand civil engineering projects in all the phases; tender, design and construction
- Demonstrated excellence in Civil Engineering Design skills, particularly in Transportation Projects, preferably including structures and roadways
- Oriented to cost efficiency and value engineering
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and presentation skills with the ability to produce high quality technical reports
- Exceptional organizational ability – able to plan, prioritize, organize and monitor activities, teams and projects effectively. Prior experience will include the leadership and/or coordination of large multidisciplinary teams.
- Proven leadership ability, with the capacity to work well in a group environment, fostering a team approach and mentoring environment.
- Proven ability in successfully working with external partners on alternative delivery projects, including design and engineering firms, joint venture partners, owners etc. in an effective relationship focused way.