Berkeley Search Consultants has been retained by one of Southern California’s top public health organizations to conduct a search for a Deputy Public Health Officer. With rivers, mountain peaks, deserts and fertile valleys, the organization’s location in Riverside County offers diversity few locations can match. With a staff of 700, the public health system to works create healthy communities, promote healthy behaviors, and connect and invest in the people of Riverside County.
Reporting to the Director of Public Health, the Deputy Public Health Officer is responsible for assisting in the development, implementation, operation, administration, and evaluation of all public health programs within local, state, and federal regulations and policy guidelines. This strong, decisive leader will oversee the county’s communicable disease program and provide medical backup for and act on public health medical issues in the Public Health Officer’s absence. Success in this role requires a media savvy and experienced manager with an understanding of the broad scope of a public health organization.
Responsibilities of the Deputy Public Health Officer include, but are not limited to the following:
• Assist in planning, organizing, directing of medical aspects of the public health program for Riverside County, which includes the following programs: EMS Administration, Disease Control, Environmental Health Services, Health Education, Laboratory, Maternal and Child Health, Nursing, Nutrition, and Primary Care.
• Evaluate existing programs and initiate changes in programs; act as a consultant to professional staff members and members of the medical profession on problems concerning public health.
• Advise and consult on the preparation of the program budgets; review reports; work with governmental, public, and private agencies in programs concerning public health.
• Conduct staff meetings with division heads and others.
• Speak before professional and community groups; advise the public on health hazards and problems; recommend new public health programs.
• Plan and administer research and investigations into unsolved problems in public health, including research in basic sciences or methodology.
• Collaborate with, and is the public health consultant for, a variety of agencies at the local, regional, and state level including EMS, Law Enforcement, Hazardous Materials teams, and fire/rescue groups.
· Medical Doctor (M.D.) or Doctor of Osteopathy (D.O.) degree from an accredited medical or osteopathy school.
· Three years as a physician in a public health agency with a generalized program, which preferably included one year administrative capacity. (A master's degree from an accredited college or university in public health, health administration, or a closely related field to the assignment may substitute for one year of the required non-specialized experience.)
· Possession of a current valid Physician's and Surgeon's Certificate issued by the State of California without restrictions and maintained in good standing.
· Possession of a valid Drug Enforcement Agency license, certification, or eligibility for certification in one of the medical specialties recognized by the American Specialty Board.
· Possession of a valid California Driver's License.
· Knowledge of the principles and practices of modern medicine, including preventive medicine; the principles and practices of public health administration; the principles of organization, management, and supervision; public health laws and regulations.
· Ability to plan, organize, direct, and coordinate the medical aspects of public health programs for a county of approximately 2.5 million people.
· Ability to evaluate health programs, prepare protocols and reports; perform medical diagnosis and treatment.
· Ability to analyze and interpret public health data and direct formal research in public health.
· Experience establishing and maintaining effective relationships with staff, other departments, and the public; Ability to facilitate decision making through consensus building.
· Ability to speak and write effectively
· Fluency in Spanish, preferred
Valid through: 3/18/2021
$80K — $100K
2 days ago