As the Deputy Project Manager working our California High Speed Rail CP 2-3 project you will be based out of our Selma project office and play a key role in the project’s successful execution. You will report to the Segment Project Manager and be responsible for a 20 mile segment worth approximately $300m.
- Support of the Segment Manager in the overall management of the Segment activities in partnership with the Segment Construction Manager
- Manage professional staff supporting operations (8-10 people); Project Engineering and oversight of Field Engineering
- Manage the development, maintenance and analysis of segment schedule and reporting of schedule performance
- Manage the cost controls process for the segment assuring accuracy and timeliness of all costs.
- Direct and coordinate activities of project engineering staff to ensure project progresses on schedule and within prescribed budget.
- Conduct performance reviews with subordinates.
- Manage subcontractor billings and accruals.
- Support field engineering staff to establish work plans and staffing for each phase of project,
- Oversee the coordination of project engineering staff with field engineering staff through the Segment Construction Manager to outline work plans and assign duties, responsibilities, and scope of Authority.
- Confer with project field personnel to provide technical advice and to resolve problems.
- Work closely with Company employees, project supervisors, owners, external teams and support people as extension to the Segment Manager
- Advise the Segment Manager about issues related to constructability and/or conflicts resulting from deficient design.
- Identify and analyze design related items causing additional costs for improvements to design and production
- Identify and analyze design related items causing changes to the contract which should be addressed as such and initiate change notices with supporting documentation and basis of change.
- Manage and oversee segment procurement activities in the buy-out of the project materials and subcontractors.
- Work closely with the Segment Construction Manager in maintaining production on budget and schedule.
- Review project estimate or plan to determine schedule, estimated job cost, procedures for accomplishing project, staffing requirements, and allotment of available resources to various phases of project.
- Develop, maintain and analyze segment constructionschedule and reporting of schedule performance
- Manage the 3-6 week constructionschedulein conjunction with the segment constructionschedule
- Review status and modify schedules or plans as required and prepare project reports for management, owners, and subcontractors.
- Claims management and documentation.
- Assure that subcontractor agreements are prepared and change orders are accurate and issued to owners, subcontractors and suppliers.
- Understand project documents ie: completeness or inadequacies. Understand timing needed to acquire shop drawings and or clarification to allow sufficient lead-time for planning and scheduling production with a minimum of mistakes or delays.
- Provide positive safety leadership to the project and maintain full compliance with safety policies
- Review field operation and ensure that the project provides a safe workplace.
- Assure that all local union and prevailing wage rules are implemented on the Segment.
- A Bachelordegree in Civil Engineering or related field from an accredited institution or equivalent training and experience is required
- 10 year minimum experience in Heavy Civil/Highway Construction as Project Engineer or Project Manager. Large project and Design-Build experience is preferred. Substantial experience on large scale heavy civil projects(bridges, roads, highways, rail etc) is required
- Proven success in delivering high quality projects on time and on budget
- Experience working on CALTRANS projects will be highly regarded.
- Experienced in liaising with clients, consultants, and management of site staff and subcontractors
- Demonstrated negotiation skills and ability to represent all project matters on behalf of the Company and/or Joint Venture related to cost, schedule & contract matters with owner, partners and/or subcontractors
- Project cost forecastingexperience
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal Executive Presentation Skills
- Proven ability to work through and overcome conflicts productively and while maintaining professionalism at all times
- Demonstrate an overriding commitment to health, safety and environmental responsibility