Arcadis is seeking a nationally recognized Transportation Project/Construction Manager that has successfully managed billion-dollar, heavy civil transportation projects.
• Ability to build trust and partnership with the client. Executive “presence” – soft skills in addition to deep P/CM experience
• As the lead construction manager, ability to effectively interface with the client, program manager, design-builder, and numerous 3rd parties
• Seasoned claims avoidance and dispute resolution
• Ability to handle conflict smoothly and unemotionally; ability to build trust with project sponsors and stakeholders
• Track record of managing large teams well; success with team performance, morale, roles/responsibilities, and collaboration
• Technical expertise: Earthworks, utilities, grade separations, bridge structures, environmental clearances/permits, Caltrans civil and structures processes
• Managed mega programs/projects ($1B+) involving design-build
• Willingness to perform the duties as the full-time, on-site Project/Construction Manager as the day to day liason to the client; overseeing the activities of the Arcadis PCM team. Regular travel or relocation will be required.
The PMCM serves as the on-site client representative on site and is responsible for the management, managerial oversight, administration, and coordination of the construction process from the conceptual development stage through final construction. The PC/M has the general responsibilities of coordinating and managing people, materials, and equipment as well as the contractor’s compliance with the client's safety policies, and conducting safety assessments as required by the client. The P/CM will determine that the work of the contractor is performed in accordance with the construction contract, project plans, and specifications, and all other contract documents and amendments thereto so as to guard against defects and deficiencies in the contractor's work.
• Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Architecture, Construction Management or other related field
• Twenty (20) years of experience in Project Management, Construction Management or Construction Contracting of Complex Heavy Civil Engineering projects; including rail projects
• Ten (10) years of Resident Engineer acting as the Principle/Owner’s Representative in the management of Major Construction Contracts of at least $1B in construction costs
• Five (5) years’ experience managing alternative delivery projects
• The P/CM should have a thorough understanding of Caltrans civil and structural criteria and review process, NEPA/CEQA practices, FTA construction practices, AREMA Standards, Federal Railroad Administration (FRA), local Regional Rail Authorities and state Public Utilities Commission regulations governing railroads, and work effectively with numerous state and federal regulatory agencies and 3rd parties.
• Lead the overall financial management for projects, including developing performance targets and budgets and helping to develop key commercial strategies, to meet and exceed profit- and cash-generation targets,
• Drive performance by leading the definition and implementation of complex projects, managing multidisciplinary teams and working to project timescales in excess of 1 year to ensure delivery standards meet client expectations,
• Educate and influence senior colleagues about risk policies and governance processes to instill a culture of awareness and commitment to risk management and ensure compliance with organizational policies and codes of conduct,
• Analyze and review recommendations and analysis from multiple sources to make informed, authoritative technical decisions to improve business performance,
• Direct, define and lead the development and continuous improvement of project-wide processes, systems and policies, and contribute to wider organizational initiatives to improve performance,
• Manage relationships with key internal stakeholders to identify opportunities for improved efficiencies both project-wide and in cross-organizational working to ensure commercial viability and customer satisfaction,
• Act as a technical expert for organizational projects, providing strategic advice and insight to senior leaders in the organization to support successful delivery and commercial decision making in line with organizational strategies,
• Influence a range of senior stakeholders, building and managing critical relationships to ensure all parties are informed about and aligned to deliver project objectives,
• Promote the culture and brand of Arcadis externally
• Lead a diverse functional team, setting objectives, managing performance and ensuring staff have the necessary skills to deliver project and organizational objectives,
• Large staff of direct reports,
• May be responsible for a geographical area,
• Role encompasses operations lead role,
• Manage, motivate and provide direction to senior specialists and managers to develop a driven and well-informed team