The Deputy General Counsel, Litigation and Employment will report to the Chief Compliance Officer and be directly responsible for handling or managing all litigation and employment-related matters involving the Law Department, including matters arising within each of the divisions, corporate functions and subsidiaries of the Company. The Deputy General Counsel, Litigation and Employment will be expected to exhibit leadership and independent judgment, and to partner with Integra LifeSciences leadership and, when relevant, colleagues at all levels of the Company, to implement and maintain a legal program that reduces unwarranted risk and prevents and/or detects violations of laws, regulations, and Company policies. The Deputy General Counsel, Litigation and Employment must be adept at providing timely, pragmatic and effective legal support while managing potential legal exposure and risk.
- Manage and provide strategic guidance and legal counsel for all phases of litigation and related matters, including negotiating favorable resolutions where appropriate;
- Provide legal support to the Human Resources Department regarding labor and employment-related matters, which may include, but are not limited to, human resources and employee relations issues, wage and hour law, workers' compensation, unemployment and other state agency claims, labor relations, employee benefits, employment agreements and policy related issues, including, but not limited to, anti-discrimination and anti-harassment policies, FMLA matters, employment related litigation, grievances and arbitrations;
- Oversee legal holds, information governance and electronic discovery related matters;
- Manage external counsel to ensure high quality and cost-effective work product including the development and execution of case forecasts, budgets and project plans; collaborate effectively and efficiently with other key external stakeholders including, but not limited to, insurers, accountants and consultants;
- Handle a high volume of legal work and respond promptly to crises and client demands efficiently and practically;
- Ensure that all work is accomplished with quality and responsiveness and in accordance with Integra LifeSciences values;
- Be a leader within the Law Department and a valued business partner to internal clients;
- Stay abreast of laws and developing external trends, and educate and train department staff and internal clients on important legal issues relative to areas of responsibility;
- Develop and maintain communication and collaboration with other Law Department members to ensure a seamless global service to the Company and the sharing of best practices;
- Handle special projects as may be assigned by the Chief Compliance Officer and/or General Counsel from time to time;
- Travel, both domestically and internationally, as may be necessary to fulfill these responsibilities.
- Bachelors and Law Degrees from accredited institutions;
- Admitted to practice in New Jersey or ability to obtain admission for in-house practice in New Jersey;
- At least 7 years of experience in a law firm or corporate law department or both, including at least 2 years in areas of increased responsibility, preferably with medical device or other life sciences companies;
- A proven track record of successful project execution, matter management, coordinating teams, negotiating and drafting sophisticated agreements and handling significant and diverse issues in a fast-paced environment;
- Broad-based litigation and investigations experience including, without limitation, product liability, employment and commercial matters;
- Deep expertise in relevant employment laws for a global life sciences company;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Sound judgment combined with comfort and willingness to make decisions;
- Significant organizational skills and personal discipline necessary to maintain current accounting of all active matters, and to proactively and routinely update relevant internal and external stakeholders on matter status;
- Ability to work as part of cross-functional teams and effectively influence clients to solve problems;
- Comfort with dynamic change necessary to drive or support continuous improvements within the Law Department and for internal clients;
- Willingness and capability to represent the Company in a professional manner and uphold the highest standards of ethical business practices and socially responsible conduct in all interactions with other employees, customers, suppliers, and other business associates of Integra LifeSciences.