As part of a small, passionate and accomplished team of experts, you will manage day-to-day operations of the New Shepard engineering design team, including systems engineering, structural design, mechanical design, Avionics software and Avionics hardware. You will ensure the design team produces error-free engineering on schedule and on budget. You will lead planning activity for new projects. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your dedicated commitment and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable spaceflight.
- Management and reporting of scope, budget, schedule and resource allocation for the engineering design team
- Leadership and mentoring of project managers and design leads
- Develop and manage support agreements with other company support centers and business units
- Lead periodic reviews of team progress and health including tracking and managing technical performance metrics and other key performance indicators
- Support recruiting, including occasionally filling the role of Hiring Managers for leadership positions
- Participate in strategic planning, including leading detailed annual operating planning and new project planning in proposal phase
- Leadership of strategic initiatives to improve engineering design flow, process and quality
- Occasionally fulfill role of Director of Design when latter individual is absent or occupied
- Bachelor of Science Degree or higher in an engineering field relevant to aerospace design (aerospace, electrical, or mechanical engineering preferred)
- 10+ years working in a fast-paced engineering environment with hardware development at different stages of product lifecycle, including at least 5 years in technical project management role overseeing a complex new product development to customer delivery
- Demonstrated technical expertise in some aspect of spacecraft, launch vehicle or high performance aircraft development; including one or more of the following: human spaceflight, liquid rocket engines, fluid/mechanical systems, structures and tanks, avionics, and systems engineering and integration
- Experience working with project control tools such as Primavera or MS Project
- Highly self-motivated, organized, and capable of planning and guiding complex technical work
- Excellent technical writing and verbal communication skills
- Must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum
- Prior experience managing software development, especially in safety-critical applications
- Project Management Professional certification
- Prior personnel or functional manager experience in addition to technical project management
Apply for this job onlineEmail this job to a friend Share on your newsfeed
Blue Origin offers a phenomenal work environment and awesome culture with competitive compensation, benefits, 401K, and relocation.
Blue Origin is an equal opportunity employer. In addition to EEO being the law, it is a policy that is fully consistent with Blue's principles. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to status as a protected veteran or a qualified individual with a disability, or other protected status such as race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, pregnancy or age. Blue Origin prohibits any form of workplace harassment.