The ACLU seeks a full-time position of Deputy Director, Donor Marketing and Production in the Development Department of the ACLU’s National office in New York, NY.
The ACLU’s passionate community of donors and activists is stronger than ever. The mission of the ACLU’s Development Department is to unlock the full potential of donors and the ACLU as partners in the creation of a more perfect union. We pursue our mission by building long-term donor relationships and organizational partnerships, by demonstrating impact in response to threats, by engaging donors how they wish to engage, by taking interest in our donors and facilitating personal action, by being accountable stewards of their funds, and by asking donors to consider giving the ACLU their full support.
Reporting to the Director, Supporter Marketing, the Deputy Director is responsible for overseeing efforts to grow and retain the ACLU’s Supporter Marketing file of approximately 1.6 million donors. This position oversees the donor journey from acquisition to retention and upgrades, and works closely to with external and internal partners across multiple channels. A strong working knowledge of direct response marketing, budgeting, data literacy, and comfort collaborating with diverse teams are essential for success in this position.
- Develop annual fundraising strategies for low and mid dollar audiences that provide over $60 million in non-sustainer revenue for the ACLU’s programs
- With Director, Supporter Marketing and partners, create annual budgets for non-sustainer giving program and associated KPIs for file
- Work closely with key external and internal partners to develop, monitor and report on progress towards annual program goals, KPIs, and overall performance of low and mid-dollar donor audiences
- Direct multi-channel direct marketing acquisition investment to bring on approximately 160,000 new donors to the ACLU’s c4 membership program annually
- Supervise donor upgrade, acquisition, and retention teams, and support their professional development
- Create scalable bridge program from low to mid-level donors
- Oversee audience and production unit, responsible for execution of mail and digital audience plans
- Facilitate weekly production meeting with team and partners to manage copy flow, deadlines, and deliverables for various campaigns
- Participate in fundraising industry groups and benchmarking, bring new ideas and best practices to the team and program
- Experience managing, supervising, and supporting the professional development of teams
- Experience leading a multi-channel direct response focused fundraising program
- Understanding of donor segmentation for renewals, upgrades, and retention programs
- Comfort building and overseeing complex budgets and directing investments
- Sound judgment in maintaining confidentiality of donor information
- Commitment to the mission of the ACLU
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity within the office using a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences in regards to race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, disability and socio-economic circumstance
- Commitment to work collaboratively and respectfully toward resolving obstacles and/or conflicts
- Offline and digital campaign production experience
- Mid or major gifts program oversight and/or portfolio management experience
- Experience working in a nonprofit environment