The Deputy Director, Washington Corporate Affairs will report directly to the Vice President, Philanthropy and Corporate Relations, and work closely with others in the Corporate Affairs department and across the Council. This position will work on all matters related to corporate member relations, stewardship, retention, and involvement; Washington programming; and Washington business development.
The Corporate Program consists of nearly 140 U.S. and foreign corporations from all business sectors, and involves the corporate community in the Council's work. The program provides a high-level forum for corporate members to exchange views with their peers in the private and public sectors on a wide range of issues at the intersection of business and foreign policy. Members also have access to information and analysis by Council researchers and other experts.
Qualified candidates will have related experience that requires interaction with senior executives, exceptional attention to detail, the ability to prioritize, sound judgment, and the highest level of discretion.
The major responsibilities of this position will include (but are not limited to):
- Manage own portfolio of corporate member companies in Washington, DC, serving as their primary point of contact with the Council and having responsibility for outreach and follow-up actions, tracking and managing stewardship and involvement, retention, and running regular corporate membership reports.
- Support outreach by the executive office and vice president, by tracking and scheduling stewardship meetings, preparing backgrounders and meeting materials, drafting correspondence to primary contacts and senior executives, and managing follow-up actions.
- Coordinate with the director of programming and program coordinator on content and speakers relevant to DC corporate member companies.
- Coordinate with the business development team, Washington prospects for corporate membership on outreach and involvement opportunities.
- Provide outreach and stewardship support to the Corporate Leaders Program, coordinating with others on the Member Relations team.
- Manage corporate member participation in DC for special events, and meeting opportunities with Studies, the National Program, Foreign Affairs, and other departments as necessary.
- Assist with department-sponsored events and meetings, including early morning breakfasts and evening meetings.
- Work closely with other team members in support of overall departmental priorities.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field with an interest in business, economics, and international relations with high academic achievement
- Minimum seven years of related work experience, preferably at a non-profit organization or in the private sector
- Experience in fundraising, relationship management, and corporate stewardship
- Strong supervisory and managerial skills
- Strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to work within deadlines
- Detail oriented, self-starter that can work effectively, both independently and on a team
- Excellent communication skills, both across departmental lines and with high-profile and senior executives
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and the aptitude to learn and utilize different technologies