Deputy Chief Project Engineer-Thermal Management System (01306346)
Collins Aerospace is a leader in technologically advanced and intelligent solutions for the global aerospace and defense industry. Created in 2018 by bringing together Rockwell Collins and UTC Aerospace Systems, Collins Aerospace has the capabilities, comprehensive portfolio and expertise to solve customers’ toughest challenges and to meet the demands of a rapidly evolving global market.
We make modern flight possible for millions of travelers and our military every second. Our major product lines are on-board virtually every aircraft flying. Be it keeping passengers safe with our emergency power generation systems or creating a positive in-flight experience through reliable cabin pressure controls and quieter engines, Power & Controls focuses on delivering a best-in-class experience to our customers. We hire the top people in the industry. Their ideas drive our performance, and their integrity keeps our customers happy. Join us as we take flight!
Collins Aerospace is looking to add a Deputy Chief Project Engineer supporting thermal management system to our team in Windsor Locks, CT. The Deputy Chief Project Engineer direct all phases of the thermal management systems programs from inception through completion. Relocation is offered.
- Oversees and coordinates the administrative and operational aspects of ongoing projects within program guidelines.
- Liaises between program management and planning, project execution team and product line management.
- Reviews project and budget status.
- Manages schedules and prepares reports.
- Monitors and assesses project issues and develops resolutions to meet productivity, quality and customer satisfaction goals and objective.
- Represents UTC as the primary customer contact for projects.
- Establish design concepts, criteria and engineering efforts for product research, development, integration and test.
- Meets program schedules and budgets and ensures the integrity of the integrated masterschedule for project(s).
- Execution of development program to requirements including technical, cost, schedule for the Controls subsystem throughout the design, development and validation phases.
- Ensure internal and external milestones are achieved.
- Component interface negotiations and definition.
- Act as the authority for new product development and project execution for the assigned subsystem.
- Influence successful execution of the various disciplines within the product design organization.
- Support new business pursuits, including customer technical visits, preparation of RFI responses, and responsibility for the preparation of technical proposals.
- Ensure the integrity of world-class project management process using integrated scheduling, earned value management (EVMS) reporting and risk management
- Provide technical collaboration, leadership and mentorship to our multi-discipline engineering team.
- Lead and/or support system architecturetrade studies.
- Lead and/or support the development of electrical, mechanical, and software specifications based on system simulation and top-level requirements.
- Oversee and manage requirements tracking and validation.
- Work collaboratively with other Engineering disciplines, Programs, Operations, Quality and Supply Chain to achieve optimal design solutions.
- Champion superior ethical and professional behavior in all situations.
- Soliciting, reviewing and completing basis of estimates.
- Creating, maintaining and monitoring projects using integrated masterschedules.
- Establishing project baselines and measure performance using Earned Value Management techniques. Mapping project scope in a work breakdown structure.
- Identifying, managing and obtaining approval for project scope changes.
- Identifying and managing risks and develop and execute appropriate mitigation
- Preparing status reports/presentations for customers, stakeholders, and leadership teams.
- Resolving project issues with project stakeholders.
- Continuous improvement of tools and best practices for project management function.
- Abiding by all federal, state, local and company policies and procedures.
- Respond in an urgent manner to customer requests to resolve technical problems or issues during design, development, and service.
- Use the ACE tools to identify opportunities to improve the tools, methods and processes used by Project Engineers. Also, lead the necessary activities to ensure efficiency gains from these changes are incorporated.
- Enforce the application of lessons learned in new product development programs
- Provide guidance and mentoring to Project Engineers by hosting discipline meetings and initiating one-on-one discussions.
- Travel is occasionally required for visits to customer or supplier facilities (domestic). Must be able to commit to traveling up to 10% of the time.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering from an accredited institution with a minimum of 5 years of combined experience with the Aerospace industry and Project Engineering/Management. Or Master’s Degree in Business Administration or Engineering from an accredited institution with a Minimum of 3 years of combined experience with the Aerospace industry and Project Engineering/Management.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification preferred.
- 10+ years of experience in the gas turbine industry.
- Must have direct experience with using Microsoft Project to develop a fully integrated masterschedule.
- Strong knowledge of earned value management techniques, including but not limited to: cost/control accounts, performance measurement techniques, and variance reporting preferred.
- Experience with the creation and submission of proposals. Experience with Tiger, Cobra, SAP or other equivalent Earned Value Management System to monitor and report on task. Experience working with aerospace Quality control, as well as Technical and Manufacturing Readiness Levelprocessesassociated with engine control and thermal management components.
- Experience leading the discipline by utilizing their knowledge of engineering, purchasing, manufacturing, quality, and customer support.
- Prefer individual with experience leading medium to large sized programs/projects with a budget of at least five million dollars per year ($5M/year.)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering from an accredited institution.
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration or Engineering is preferred.
Due to federal regulation or contracting requirements, this position is only available to a U.S. Citizen. At this time, Collins Aerospace will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Nothing matters more to Collins Aerospace than our strong ethical and safety commitments. As such, all U.S. positions require a background check, which may include a drug screen.
- Background check and drug screen required (every external new hire in the U.S.).
- Drug Screens for re-hires only performed for previous employees who have been gone from the company for more than 1 year.