FORBES LIST OF AMERICA'S BEST EMPLOYERS 2018
Move forward with us! At NJ TRANSIT, you'll join us in transforming the third-largest transportation agency in North America. We are committed to delivering safe, reliable service that gets customers to their destinations on time--and we're looking to hire talented folks with a love of learning to make it all possible.
- Participate in the development, implementation, and administration of a strategic vision for the acquisition, compensation, and development of talent at all levels and in all areas of NJ TRANSIT.
- Act as the strategic business partner for Rail Operations and its Training Department. Oversee and direct the hiring activities of Rail Recruiting and ensure suitable candidates are timely selected for all positions, both agreement and non-agreement, including railroad conductors and engineers, electricians, cleaners, ticket agents, etc.
- Oversee and direct the activities of the Compliance, Leaves, and Employee Relations Unit by reviewing, drafting and updating policies and procedures, as necessary, ensuring NJ TRANSIT’s Drug and Alcohol Unit adheres to the requirements of the Federal Railroad Administration’s (FRA) and Federal Transit Agency’s (FTA) rules and regulations, ensure the Leaves Unit accurately and timely processes requests for leave and the like, and ensure that the Employee Relations Unit promptly investigates complaints and prepares well-written investigation reports supported by facts.
- Provide direction, guidance and supervision to the Talent Development Unit by directing the design, development, and implementation of a robust learning program for NJ TRANSIT employees.
- Design a multi-faceted employee engagement program that results in measurable enhancements to employee satisfaction.
- Develop and/or monitor relevant Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) for all areas that report to this position. Prepare analysis and reports, both verbal and written, to explain KPIs and any plans to improve performance.
- Perform other related tasks and special projects, as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business/Public Administration or related area
- Ten (10) or more years of progressively responsible, broad-based management experience in Human Resources within a large, matrixed organization with multiple unions and collective bargaining agreements, increasing responsibilities for multi-faceted direction and planning.
- Excellent leadership, management, organizational, analytical, problem solving, and interpersonal skills.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills.
- Comprehensive knowledge of HR best practices, change management, employment and labor law and familiarity with various state, federal and industry regulations.
- Proven proficiency in building relationships and working collaboratively with labor unions and other stakeholders to improve operational, performance and customer experience.
- Ability to identify needs and opportunities for change within an organization and to provide strong guidance and leadership to strategically map and execute change.
- Strong customer service orientation with the ability to manage multiple large-scale projects that directly impact the strategic direction and success of the organization.
- Experience leading major systems change initiative in a large organization.
- Master’s Degree in Business/Public Administration/Human Resources or related area
- HR certification (e.g., PHR, SPHR)
- Knowledge and/or experience working in the transit/public transportation industry.
This position requires enrollment into the Railroad Retirement pension program.
At NJ TRANSIT you will enjoy a competitive salary and excellent benefit package:
- Comprehensive Family Health Insurance – Prescription, Dental, Vision
- Flexible Spending Account
- Life Insurance
- Paid Leave
- 401(a), 401(k) Retirement Plans--up to 9% match
- Tuition Assistance
- Qualified Transportation Expense Plan (QTE)
At NJ TRANSIT, we support and depend upon the diversity of our staff.
NJ TRANSIT is an Equal Opportunity Employer.