Manages the General Merchandise department (Approximately $10M of inventory) at the Stanford University Campus Bookstoreincluding managing employee activities to meet the financial and marketing objectives of the company and regularly managing 7-10 team members in the department. Coordinates sales promotions with the Home Office and manages execution in the store.
Establishes and builds key partnerships with campus contacts and communicates and coordinates with key campus licensees. Analyzes sales reports and trends, and assists with strategy and the planning efforts of the home office planning team.
This position also assists customers with escalated issues and suggests selection of products based on knowledge of current products, familiarity of offerings and customer interactions.
Demonstrates strong knowledge of Follett systems and strategies, the industry and the competitive landscape in order to execute initiatives, drive profitable sales and control expenses. Effectively executes company programs and initiatives.
Ensures compliance with company policies and procedure. Partners with various support partners. Consistently demonstrates Follett Values - Integrity, Accountability, Customers, Each and Every Associate, Innovation and Teamwork.
- Key Responsibilities:
- Supervises the employees of the department including scheduling, assigning and evaluating work as well as interviewing, hiring, training new employees, and handling discipline/termination issues. Supervises the Home Office regulated processes related to Return-to-Vendor (RTV) receiving, replenishment and scanning.
- Assists customers in finding products and handles escalated customer issues.
- Manages the special order functions and notifies customers.
- Participates in regularly scheduled product planning conference calls with home office partners.
- Partners to create and maintain a Hassle Free customer service culture, focused on solutions-based selling and an exceptional customer experience.
- Establishes and builds key partnerships with other store staff and campus organizations for promotional opportunities and special events and manages off-site sales opportunities (e.g., graduation, basketball, football, author signings, etc.).
- Cultivates key campus partnerships to further integrate store products and services into the culture of the campus community.
- Travels to off campus, out of state events routinely on an overnight basis to assist with the development and execution of satellite store locations in support of university alumni and athletic events.
- Manages approximately $5MM of inventory, including by managing sales and inventory against budgets and goals, and by conducting store walkthroughs on a daily basis to ensure proper stock levels, inventory placement and customer service levels.
- Manages marketing for the department including by managing the in-store merchandise display from stockroom to sales floor, and serving as liaison between the Store and the Planner.
- Manages the execution of displays in compliance with company standards.
- Manages the execution of product displays in-store and on-campus ensuring company and various licensee standards are met. Works in collaboration with university licensees and home office partners.
- Supervises compliance with the brand standards set by the university licensing department.
- Executes Home Office initiated markups and markdowns, analyzes financial reports, processes purchase orders, and approves invoices.
- Partners with the Store Manager to execute promotions and sales, and ensures proper inventory levels based on analysis of reports, sales and trends.
- Works with store leadership across the store group to effectively and efficiently consolidate merchandise ensuring maximum sell-through and minimizing markdowns.
- Oversees website maintenance and online orders. Ensures price accuracy and merchandise availability on store website.
- While managing and directing the department staff, responds to student, faculty, staff, alumni and other customer questions and issues resolving escalated issues as necessary.
- Manages the store in the absence of the store manager and supervises other departments from time to time. Manages the store operation on a rotation basis and has regularly scheduled store opening, closing and manager on duty responsibilities.
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Bachelor degree or equivalent.
- 3-5 years of proven leadership experience.
- 3-5 years retail general merchanise experience.
- Required: strong communication skills (verbal and written). Desired: Previous supervisory/management experience required.
- General Computer Skills, computer literacy.