Datacenter / NOC Engineer L1
The Level 1 NOC Engineer will report to the NOC Lead/Operations Manager and be responsible for providing Level 1 phone support, network monitoring, and technical support with CenturyLink to one of our largest financial customers.
- Demonstrate thorough understanding of monitoring tools
- Demonstrate understanding of customer’s applications and components associated with each application.
- Single point of contact for all customer communications and escalations.
- Thorough understanding of Monitoring Tools, IT standard operating procedures (SOP), work instructions (WI) and Server support documentation for Network Operations Center (NOC).
- Rack, stack and cable equipment as needed.
- Provide training and mentoring to other team members as they progress in mastering their professional skills and as they learn company and industry best practices
- A strong team player who is accountable towards business urgency, work in shifts to provide onsite 24x7 coverage to customer, be flexible to work beyond stipulated hours
- Analyze and reportnetwork and server alerts generated by the monitoring tools (such as SevOne, IP SLA) to the NOC Lead, Network Engineer and Nextgen Domain Operations per escalation matrix.
- Act as first line of contact for all Trouble Ticket issues, maintain the shift log and deliver the report to customer's distribution list.
- Create and follow up to change requests, incidents/Break-fixes and perform otherscheduled activities within the SLA requirements.
- Interface with financial customer's personnel and vendor personnel including Network (Arista, Cisco), Carriers (Zayo, Lightower), market data providers (ICE, NSDQ, BATS), Server (HP) and storage (NetApp) to perform needed support.
- Provide input to shiftreports and coordinate handover of incomplete activities to the next-shift
- Do periodic physical checks of the cages at NJ2x and NJ3 datacenters to look for anomalies in server, network and facility infrastructure.
- Coordinate and store all IT equipment with CTL shipping department.
- Maintain vendor and visitor contact lists, escort authorized visitors to the cage (with backup provided by other CenturyLink on-duty local or remote NOC personnel).
- Create tickets and coordinate server break fixes with the financial customer's server maintenance vendor.
- Maintain inventory of spare parts for Network and Server equipment.
- Occasional emergency restarts of equipment in the datacenter, as needed.
- Technical knowledge and understanding of basic network design and iOS commands.
- Experienced with various monitoring tools and ability to perform basic troubleshooting
- Racking, stacking and cabling of equipment
- Excellent phone and written communication skills
- Self starter requiring to work with little or no direction
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and responsibilities
- Ability to follow through and bring closure to open incidents
- Ability to maintain professional demeanor under pressure like conditions
- Certification(s) in areas of expertise MCP, CCNA or higher
Education or Equivalent Experience:
Minimum of 2 to 4 years relevant experience in NOC/production support environment (preferably in banking/brokerage industry)
Associates or Equivalent