Role : Database Performance Engineer
Location : SunnyVale, CA
Interview : Phone/Skype
Emp Type : Permanent Job
• Periodically Monitor Production databases from DB performance perspective and document the findings in a monthly report
• Carry out analysis of performance issues and proactively identify expensive SQLs and other performance bottlenecks
• Work withSAP ABAP, BASIS and Support teams to explain/resolve critical production performance issues
• Carry out root cause analysis of Database/SQL performance problems and recommend a solution for Production as well as Test environments
• Communicate solution to the application developers and verify that it is implemented correctly
• Participate in software design reviews with developers to ensure that the architecture is scalable to meet long-term performance goal
• Keep abreast of new, performance related Oracle features and evangelize their use across teams
• Experience in analyzing AWR reports to determine if there are performance issues
• Develop SQL Performance Coding standards
• Document technical details of issues resolved and assist the team with building and maintaining technical repositories
• 7+ years as an DBA. Ideal candidate will have the right blend of these two skills: Oracle & SAP
• 4+ years as a DB Performance Analyst and/or SQL Tuner
• Proven expertise in tuning Oracle 11g, 12c for high transaction, multi-TB sized Databases
• Proven expertise in optimization of Oracle SQL Queries
• Thorough knowledge of Oracle Cost Based Optimizer and clear understanding of Oracle architecture
• Sound knowledge of business application development and support
• Knowledge of SAP is a big plus
• A Team player to work with cross-functional teams with varying skill-sets and in different time-zones
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
1. Describe high level steps for Tuning an SQL
2. What is an access predicate / filter predicate and why is it important for SQL analysis?
3. What is SQL Baseline and when will you use it? Any idea on how is it different than Oracle HINT?
4. Name few dynamic init.ora parameters which can be altered to tune an SQL
5. Have you done Wait Event analysis for Oracle database? How did you do it? What is/are some of key wait events when it comes to SQL performance?
6. What is HASH join / Nested loop JOIN and when should we use them?