We are seeking a Database Developer to join and help on a team of experienced developers (~10 people) working on mission critical data delivery systems. The systems utilize multiple technologies to distribute financial data (both reference and pricing data) through various mediums from bulk file deliveries, through multiple delivery channels.
The candidate should be able to work independently, handle multiple simultaneous tasks and be adept at prioritizing their work. The candidate will be able to focus on the project priorities in order to deliver the required product at the scheduled time. They should be comfortable collaborating with business analysts, product managers, quality assurance groups and client services to refine requirements and plan implementation strategies.
The applicant will have experience in problem solving, planning, and estimating development efforts and have strong communication skills. Most importantly they should demonstrate the ability to show initiative and be able to move projects forward to completion with minimal supervision.
The candidate will be expected to be involved in the full life cycle of the systems development from requirement gathering through development and testing to on-going support and maintenance. The position will involve some on-call support outside of regular business hours, nights and weekends.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop, maintain and support next generation data delivery system comprised built on Oracle Exadata
- Work with subject matter experts on database and data access patterns for the team. Work closely with DBAs on any design or performance optimizations
- Aid in the design of the system working closely with track leads and the lead architect. This includes developing technical specifications, design, coding and testing new features
- Provide on-call support as part of a team rotation. Triage, diagnose and remediate production issues that impact client file deliveries
Knowledge and Experience
- BA/BS degree in Business, Computer Science, or related field.
- Three or more years as a Database Developer.
- Proficient at problem identification and resolution, and defining and managing business requirements.
- Experience in producing various work products throughout the analysis, design, and test phases of a project.
- Knowledge and application of industry standard Project Management principles delivered using various systems development life cycles.
- Ability and motivation to learn.
- Prior experience of working in a collaborative Agile Scrum / development team writing and utilizing stories as well as having knowledge of JIRA and Confluence applications is a plus.
- Ability to define, manage, and exceed business customer expectations.
- Communicate and/or translate business challenges to technical IT staff members and assist in developing solutions.
- Strong meeting management and negotiation skills.
- Experience with relational databases and SQL is required
- Working knowledge of query tools (PL/SQL, Toad, SQL Developer)
- A good understanding of database modeling. Ability to write performant SQL when working with large data stores.
- Ability to develop query scripts to access data stored in data warehouses, proprietary databases, relational databases or ODBC compliant databases using tools such as Toad, SQL, and SQL Developer.
- Experience with scripting tool using shells and/or. python is a plus
- Working knowledge of Java development in a Linux based environment is a plus.
- Experience with financial data (Reference Data, Pricing, Market Data) is a plus.