Five (5) to seven (7) years of experience with designing, building, installing, configuring, tuning, and supporting of Oracle databases in a distributed multi-platform computing environment
- Expert knowledge of the Oracle databasearchitecture and internals and in-depth theoretical knowledge of online transaction processing (OLTP) and online analytic processing (OLAP) relational database techniques
- Complete understanding of designing and implementing Oracle operational and warehousing database environments with attention to scalability, availability, data integrity, and security
- Proven track record of strong project management skills with ability to manage multiple small to large projects in a cross-functional environment
- Strong mentoring and coaching skills are a must
- Strong written and oral communication skills; ability to present and explain technical information to diverse types of audiences in a way that establishes rapport and gains understanding
- Highly self-motivated, cooperative attitude and strong work ethic
- Strong interpersonal skills; needs to work well in a team environment
- Strong analytical, conceptual and problem-solving skills; ability to weigh various suggested technical solutions against the original business needs and choose the most cost-effective solution
- Strong customer focus and ability to manage client expectations
- Strong knowledge and understanding of the organization’s goals and objectives, with the ability to establish and maintain a high level of customer trust and confidence in the database team; familiarity with line-of-business legacy systems
- Database administration experience in additional relational database systems is preferred (e.g., SQLServer, DB2/UDB, Teradata, MySQL)
- Experience implementing third-party packages and working with vendors
- Experience in data integration, message queuing, and data replication products
The Database Architect’s role is to strategically design and implement operational databases, data marts, and data warehouses, while ensuring high levels of data availability. This individual is also responsible for defining data standards and models for all datable architectures ensuring consistency and synchronization across platforms. S/he works with the Business Intelligence, Database, Systems, and Application Development teams to refine conceptual system design requirements into a technical design consisting of job flows, maintenance, and production support. S/he will act as the primary advocate of data processing best practices. Above all, this individual makes certain that the technical solutions meet business objectives and establishes and maintains a high level of user trust and confidence in the database group’s knowledge of and concern for the users’ business needs.
Essential Job Functions
- Identify and deliver long-term strategic goals for data architecture vision in conjunction with data users, department managers, clients, and other key stakeholders.
- Identify inefficiencies and gaps (data integrity, security, performance, manageability, etc.) in current database environment and leverage solutions.
- Create short-term tactical solutions to achieve long-term objectives and an overall data management roadmap.
- Act as a leader of data management, including coaching, training, and mentoring to database staff.
- Collaborate with project managers and business unit leaders for projects involving enterprise data.
- Coordinate and work with other technical staff to develop databasearchitectures, coding standards, and quality assurance policies and procedures.
- Communicate complex and technical information in a concise and articulate manner based on the audience.
- Ensure the success of enterprise-level application rollouts (e.g. ERP, BPM, IBI, etc.)
- Address data-related problems in regards to systems integration, compatibility, and multi-platform integration.
- Closely monitor system performance and data quality; identify problems and implement more automated solutions; ensure the database is running at optimum speed and efficiency.
- Conduct data capacity planning. Develop automated processes to monitor file system usage, CPU and memory utilization, etc. to ensure system scalability and to enable the prediction of future resource consumption.
- Create strategies and plans for data security, backup, disaster recovery, business continuity, and archiving.
- Keep databases at current release and maintenance levels; install supporting products; provide current, stable database environments.
- Document the data architecture and environment in order to maintain a current and accurate view of the larger data picture.
- Identify and develop opportunities for data reuse, migration, or retirement.
- Research and recommend optimal table and index design criteria balancing scalability, data integrity and maintainability; publish entity relationship and data flow diagrams, design standards and work with development staff; standardize environment and improve efficiency.
- Liaise with vendors and service providers to evaluate, recommend, and select database components, including hardware, database management systems, data replication and ETL (extract, transform, load) software, monitoring tools, and database management tools.
- Has regular contact with professional organizations, user groups, and industry trade groups to stay current with technology.
- Consistently complete projects within agreed upon target dates.
- Oversee the implementation of database modifications and enhancements in regard to technical changes and change management.
- Adhere to departmental policies for reporting and managing trouble tickets and change control.
- Attend daily production meetings and keep apprised of all database trouble tickets and change requests in preparation for the meeting.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related discipline preferred; equivalent experience is acceptable
- Master’s degree is preferred
- Oracle Professional Database Administrator certification is preferred