Summary of Major Responsibilities
The Database Administrator is responsible for ensuring optimum performance, integrity, scalability and availability of enterprise and departmental databases and their related infrastructure components, and for providing expert database services to staff throughout Exact Sciences.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintaining database integrity by identifying and resolving database performance issues, capacity planning, replications and other distributed data issues.
- Ensuring the security and integrity of the company’s databases by administering, maintaining, developing, and recommending policies and procedures per best practices.
- Setup, monitoring and maintenance of high availability and disaster recovery methods (mirroring, replication, clustering, backups).
- Collaborates with cloud/development operations engineers to optimize and manage virtual and hardware resources.
- Forecasting growth and performance requirements by using trends and expectations of the business goals.
- Maintaining security best practices by auditing user profile accounts, access levels, executing corporate policies as assigned by supervisor and other duties as needed.
- Identifies database requirements by interviewing customers; analyzing department applications, programming, and operations; evaluating existing systems and designing proposed systems.
- Recommends solutions by defining database physical structure and functional capabilities, databasesecurity, data back-up, and recovery specifications.
- Maintains database performance by calculating optimum values for database parameters; implementing new releases; completing maintenance requirements; evaluating computer operating systems and hardware products.
- Participate in on-callsupportschedules and responsibilities.
- Maintains quality service by establishing and enforcing organization standards.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; benchmarking state-of-the-art practices; participating in professional societies.
- Regular and reliable attendance.
- Support and comply with the company’s Quality Management System policies and procedures.
- Use of computers daily in an interactive manner for extended periods of time and up to 8 hours per day.
- Potential travel (by land and air), both domestically and internationally, on occasion.
- Frequent and accurate communication with employees, customers, and vendors in person, via the telephone or by email.
- Frequent walking or motion to coordinate work and interact with co-workers.
- Bachelordegree in computer science or MIS preferred.
- 5 years as a SQL DBA in an enterprise environment including database design, installations, upgrades, maintenance, support, proactive monitoring, troubleshooting, capacity planning, tuning, and disaster recovery.
- Proven experience in a high availability, high throughput, rapidly growing environment.
- Proficiency in administering PostgreSQL and MS SQL database servers running in AWS.
- Demonstrated competency in simultaneous execution of multiple projects.
- Must possess strong organizational and communication skills.
- Appetite to learn; general business acumen.
- Ability to understand and ethically navigate the organizational dynamics and company culture, so as to produce project/business by influencing key stakeholders.
- Experience with Microsoft SQL Server High Availability and Always On technologies.
- Solid Linux fundamentals including kernel and OS tuning as they relate to DB performance and security.
- Microsoft SQL Server, Postgres and/or AWS database proficiency certifications.
- Demonstrated experience managing data in the context of Sarbanes Oxley policies and HIPAA/HITECH compliance.