Responsible for coordinating the operation of several complex data base
files. Under minimal supervision performs aspects of Database
Administration including, hardware and software evaluation and
installation, logical and physical database design and implementation,
structured testing of database designs, security administration, backup
and recovery planning, performance and tuning, research and evaluation
of new tools and techniques, and development of policies, standards and
procedures. Participates with the implementation and support of
development systems, QA systems, and production systems at data centers,
including all network and systems-related infrastructure components.
Has in-depth experience, knowledge and skills in own discipline. Usually
determines own work priorities. Acts as a resource for colleagues with
- Communicates and understands impact of database changes to affected
parties and makes recommendations, as appropriate. Maintains hardware
platforms to perform at optimum response, capacity planning, and
implementation of new databases due to conversions.
- Consults with Project Managers to design appropriate solutions.
Assists the development teams with application schema designs and
applies best practices.
- Commissions and installs new applications.
- Assists with leading a task force to develop and implement a database
that addresses business needs. Advises on new database technologies,
trends, and features.
- Develops, revises, and implements policies, standards, procedure,s and
guidelines necessary to effectively administer the database
- Develops, manages, and tests backup and recovery plans.
- Designs/tunes, maintains and supports database systems for highly
available, high-volume internet applications.
- Consistent exercise of independent judgment and discretion in matters
- Regular, consistent and punctual attendance. Must be able to work
nights and weekends, variable schedule(s) as necessary.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelors Degree or Equivalent
- Information Sciences, Technology, Computer Science
- Generally requires 5-8 years related experience