The Database Administrator / Big Data Engineer is responsible for designing, implementing, deploying, and supporting various data management technologies and architectures. In partnership with business leaders, key stakeholders and cross-functional project teams, the Database Administrator / Big Data Engineer will be an active contributor in a collaborative team structure and will have the opportunity to accelerate the delivery of and improve the quality of HelloWorld products providing increased operational excellence, a greater client experience and other strategic objectives.
Description and Responsibilities
- Design data management systems, implement schemas, storage architectures and access rights.
- Perform data loads and optimize data for extraction and reporting use.
- Assist with ETL jobs and transformations to populate a data warehouse.
- Maintain complex databases by performing appropriate database management functions (e.g., maintain space availability, rebuilds indexes, file cleanup, runs utilities to check database integrity) to ensure optimum capacity and application performance.
- Monitor, report, and analyze usage trends and statistical output in order to maintain quality control and high performance of the data retrieval from a database or other data storage.
- Implement updates, fixes, performance tuning and optimization.
- Develop database maintenance procedures and tools, utilizing industry best practices.
- Define database validation requirements to ensure database integrity.
Job Specifications and Competencies
- 5-10+ years of experience working in technology
- Experience with Big Data, especially Hadoop, HDFS, MapReduce
- 3+ years of experience as a DBA
- BS degree in Computer Science or Information Systems
- Experience with databasearchitecture, data modeling and analyzing requirements for database design
- Strong understanding of databasesecurity
- Excellent debugging, problem solving and testing skills
- Experience in data warehouse concepts, ETL tools such as Informatica, Pentaho, Apache Spark
- Experience using reporting tools such as Power BI and Qlik
- Good interpersonal/management skills and capable of working individually and as part of a team