We are looking for an experienced Team Lead who can manage the data scientists and engineers, and help the company moving forward confidently with data-informed decisions in all aspects.
What You'll Be Doing
- Recruit, lead and mentor the data team members to conduct data collection, analysis, and reporting, supporting 500px business objectives and initiatives.
- Work closely with the product, marketing and design teams to define and answer business questions in a measurable and actionable manner.
- Develop data collection plans, work with other engineering teams to execute them, and ensure the integrity of data collected.
- Accountable for ensuring delivery of data products and reports against the company's needs and set timelines.
- Have a comprehensive understanding of the data layer and its major components.
- Identify major data debts that would hurt the data analysis or reduce the team efficiency, and prioritize them according to their business impacts.
- Develop reports, dashboards and key tools for tracking KPIs and critical milestones; provide summary of status and tracking against established timelines and KPIs on a regular basis to key stakeholders across the business line and senior leadership team.
- Communicate the main business goals and vision to team members to ensure good team alignment.
- Build quality data team through knowledge sharing, personal development events, and other activities.
- Evaluate individual performance and conduct regular 1-1s to recognize each individual's achievements, discuss areas of improvements, and help engineers develop career growth plans.
- Educate the rest of company about data-driven decision making and self-serve BI solutions.
What the Ideal Candidate Will Have
- Demonstrated leadership experience
- A Bachelor's or Master's degree in statistics, computer science, math, physics, or a related quantitative field.
- 5+ years of experience with statistical sciences: statistical modelling and data mining.
- Expert knowledge of MySQL and/or PostgreSQL.
- Hands-on experience with Python and/or R.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Empathy for your users and teammates.
- Grit: when the need arises you are willing to work through messy details with your team to achieve success; you persevere when others fall away.
- A bias towards action: the ability to cut through any issue, identify the salient points, and rally a team around addressing them
- High standards: for yourself and your team
You'll get bonus points for
- A love of photography and familiarity with the 500px platform
- Knowledge of advanced data analysis topics such as: causal inferences, data simulation, or correlated data analysis (e.g., survival analysis, longitudinal analysis, time series analysis and forecasting)
- Working experience with python libraries for data wrangling, visualization, mining and modelling (e.g., Pandas, NumPy, Matplotlib, Seaborn, Statsmodels, SciKit-Learn, NLTK)
- Working experience with R packages for data wrangling, visualization and modelling (e.g., reshape2, dplyr, stringr, lubridate, ggplot2, car, forecast, randomforeset, Caret, survival)
- Knowledge of business intelligence such as SaaS metrics, time series forecasting, or pricing analysis
- Knowledge of data warehousing and ETL
- Experience with web scraping
- Knowledge of NoSQL (MongoDB)