This position reports to the Director of Consumer PR. The Instacart Communications team is largely based in San Francisco, however this position can be located anywhere in the US, and is open to remote work.
- Work hand in hand with PR managers to develop and manage the data storytelling editorial calendar.
- Work across the Communications team to develop press-worthy data stories including helping to define the story, building the approach, designing and running the necessary queries, and analyzing the findings through a storytelling / PR lens.
- Perform data analysis using SQL to create reports and analyses.
- Use your technical experience with analytics tools and scientific rigor to produce newsworthy insights.
- Help analyze and translate internal data pulls for the communications team, focusing on a journalistic view of the data.
- Complete ad hoc data pulls and analysis for inbound media inquiries, often under deadline.
- Review communications materials to ensure data is accurate and positioned appropriately.
- Partner with internal data scientists and analysts to build an understanding of Instacart’s data set and tools necessary for effective data storytelling.
- Provide the communications team with data storytelling guidance, counsel, and best practices on an ongoing basis.
- Make recommendations to the communications team about what data storytelling approaches and resources the team may consider as they grow the data storytelling function.
- 6-8 years of experience in data-related roles (data journalism, data storytelling, sales, business analytics, social science methods, economics, and similar fields)
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Advanced proficiency in SQL
- Experience driving analytics projects from beginning to end: question formation, data exploration, statistical analysis, visualization, and presentation.
- Ability to reduce technical approaches and complex findings into simple and compelling narratives for both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Understand quantitative research and statistical analysis with experience using data to support a point of view.
- The skills to communicate complex analysis to any audience in verbal, visual, and written formats.
- Accuracy when extracting statistical information from complex data analysis.
- Creative firepower -- proven ability to generate ideas for how to translate Instacart’s search and catalog data into relevant, unique and pressworthy stories.
- Preferred but not required:
- Prior journalism experience
- Prior in-house experience in a data storytelling role, working on or in partnership with a Communications, PR or Marketing team, ideally with a consumer technology brand.