What we look for
Our exceptional and motivated employees are our greatest strength. Our employees provide the highest level of
customer service and help maintain our position as a leader in the global marketplace.
The Markel Style is what makes us stand out from our competitors. It's our core value which should underpin how we do business, while influencing our behavior and performance. We are looking for people who have potential and share our passion to live the Markel Style, which is described in more detail below.
If you think you have these core attributes we want to hear from you.
The Developer contributes to the development, maintenance, and enhancement of business applications by providing technical or business knowledge to the team. Under the guidance of a Senior Developer or Team Lead, collaborates with Business Analysts, key stakeholders, and other IT professionals to define technical specifications (based on business requirements) and system interfaces to develop and present business solutions. Software knowledge base will vary based on the applications being built.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Function as part of a scrum team responsible for the complete delivery of solutions as assigned by the Markel Program Team.
- Design, build and unit test Data Solutions and application software in a multi-technology environment.
- Diagnose and troubleshoot problems reported with Data Lake Applications.
- Align with design practices in support of the technology and architecture in support of the Data Services tools and platform.
- Create and maintain system documentation including entity, component/logical, and physical diagrams.
- Design repeatable, automated build and deployment strategies to ensure simple, successful deployments across environments.
- Participate in production support activities.
- Identify enhancements and innovation opportunities within the data Services organization.
- Remain current on technologies and techniques that help promote a modern architecture throughout Data Services.
- Must have at least 4 years of experience and thorough knowledge in developing data solutions utilizing modern coding languages.
- 2+ years of experience developing stored procedures in T-SQL and PL-SQL.
- Experience in writing complete Agile stories based on business requirements in order to meet strategic goals of the organization.
- Experience parsing unstructured JSON/XML data formats for loading into a relational environment
- Strong development experience in PowerShell and Python.
- Agile team experience required.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to present ideas in business-friendly and user-friendly language.
- Highly self-motivated and directed.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Very strong customer service orientation.
“Why work for us?”
Diversity and inclusion
Markel is truly a global and diverse company. We believe that diversity makes us better business partners and that embracing people’s differences can bring amazing results and fuel innovation. We have a portfolio of businesses and product lines that operate around the world.
Markel has a rich heritage of supporting communities across the world where our customers and employees live and work. Giving back is part of our history and our future. Our employees share in this philosophy through volunteering, mentoring and fundraising.
Commitment to open doors
Markel is committed to creating the best work environment. Our open-door policy is essential in recognizing business issues as they rise and to address the changing needs of our diverse and global workforce. Challenging management is a component of the Markel Style—some of our best ideas start from a conversation between a manager and an employee.
As the Markel Style states, we pursue excellence, strive for a better way, and share the success of others. Markel associates proactively seek new business opportunities, bringing further success to Markel.