Job ID: 14896BR
Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That’s Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers – and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
The Sr. Software Developer will be the technical thought leader for PIBT Intelligent Automation (IA) technologies.The candidate should have experience with Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning, Text Analytics, Natural Language Processing (NLP), Analytics and Search technologies, vendors, platforms, APIs, microservices, enterprise architecture and security architecture.
The candidate should also be comfortable working in a fast paced, evolutionary environment and be a self-starter.The role will be responsible for the evaluation of AI, Machine Learning, Text Analytics, Natural Language Processing (NLP), and Search technologies, and the development of prototype and demo systems. The role will be responsible for leading multi-disciplinary development teams from LOBs, IT and vendors, in the delivery ofapplications.
Drive innovation in data science through discovering and/or developing new statistical, machine learning, and AI capabilities. Develop new, creative statistical modeling methodologies to increase model accuracy and/or process efficiency. Support the development of others to learn and leverage new modeling tools and approaches. Actively influence and engage with the broader analytics community across the enterprise.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- As a leader in PIBT IA & Emerging Technology practices, this position has primary responsibility for driving and fostering new and evolving statistical techniques and computational capabilities (discover, incubate, innovate).
- Responsibilities may include: Leading efforts in Artificial Intelligence (AI) with emphasis on text, speech and image analytics.
- Development of new, creative statistical modeling methodologies to increase model accuracy and/or process efficiency.
- Assessment and recommendation of new technology (software, hardware, packages, etc.).
- Exploration of emerging technology trends with potential data and analytics applicability to our business.
- Training and development of others to learn and leverage new modeling tools and approaches.
- Active influence and engagement with the broader analytics community across the enterprise.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with business partners. Direct the development of new approaches to business problems.
- Partner with peers across the enterprise to ensure consistency and alignment.
High School diploma or equivalent required. 5 years of programming/development experience required.
Education, Work Experience & Knowledge
- PhD STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) degree with 4 years of experience or Masters STEM degree with 7 years of experience or Bachelor’s STEM degree with 9 years ofexperience required.
- Advanced working knowledge of modeling/research/analytics or actuarial required.
- Relevant statistical analysis work experience required.
Preferred Job Specific Skills
- Relevant work experience in directing and performing research and/or advanced analytic work (e.g. predictive modeling) in the insurance industry preferred.
- Ability to develop or direct the development of advanced programs.
- Strong problem solving & decision making skills.
- Drives for results.
- Demonstrates creativity and innovation.
- Critical thinker.
- Ability to lead self & others.
- Influences others.
- Superior communication (oral/written).
- Effective presentation skills.
- Collaborates and builds relationships across the enterprise.
- Possess knowledge of key business areas (e.g. product, enterprise, industry, processes).
- Ability to develop or direct the development of advanced models and interpret model results.
- Understands advanced statistics underlying data models.
- Ability to apply or direct the application of new statistical procedures.
- Strong knowledge of database principles, data profiling, statistics and insurance-related data modeling and can apply this knowledge in the most complex situations.
Job Specific & Technical Skills & Competencies
- Automation Anywhere (AA)
- Blue Prism (not required)
- Neural Net Modeling & analysis (Convolutional & Reoccurring Neural Network – CNN & RNN, Long/Short TermMemory Architecture – LSTM.
- Ability to read/revise/review statistical software programs (R, SAS, Statistical Package for the Science – SPSS).
Technical Knowledge: Able to expertly assess, design, develop, configurate and support applications, systems solutions, and interfaces for multiple systems to achieve business and/ or technical requirements. Demonstrates technical mastery for technologies, applications, systems, frameworks, and/or languages and has the ability toinfluence and/or set technical direction or defect resolution. Fully understands business applications and/or technical system environments in which the system operates. Demonstrates proficiency in business concepts. Demonstrates expert knowledge of applications/systems and concepts. Able to evaluate and leverage pre-existing services and frameworks. Leverages enterprise and industry best practices and standards. Works to ensure component interactions follow and promote design best practices. Communication Skills: Ability to communicate thoughts/designs/ideas in an unambiguous manner and adjusts communication based on audience. Exhibits active and effective communication skills with team members – including active listening and effective written and verbal communication skills. Effectively contributes and communicates with the immediate team. Able to present complex technical concepts to audiences of varying size and level. Business Knowledge & Partnership: Able todevelop and leverage business and/or vendor partnerships, consult on business priorities, and optimize value through solution identification aligned with business objectives, goals, and future technology direction. Able toeasily communicate in business terms and describe IT capabilities/concepts in ways that the business can understand. Problem Solving & Decision Making: Able to expertly diagnose root causes, solve complex problems, and collaborate effectively with business and technical teams. Able to break a problem down into manageable pieces, evaluate potential risks/alternatives, and implement effective, timely solutions. Carefully evaluates alternative risks and solutions before taking action including escalating situations as appropriate. Demonstrates sound decision making and problem resolution skills. Often consulted by team members for problem resolution and guidance. Has the ability to reach sound decisions quickly. Knows where to obtain information needed to make the appropriate decisions. Optimizes the use of all available resources. Trusted technical advisor. Team Orientation: Able to promote, maintain, and enhance partnerships across the organization to achieve objectives and engage stakeholders. Able to influence project stakeholders and team members. Practices objectivity and openness to others’ views. Able to recognize and support team priorities. Leadership: Able to set and assign technical goals and priorities for self and team members. Exhibits team leadership. Able to set teams technical direction. Able to provide feedback and/or coaching regarding technical resources. Planning and ProjectManagement: Demonstrates ability to identify critical project tasks and establish clear priorities while keeping theoverall strategy in mind. Able to manage time and competing priorities. Able to accurately estimate the tasks and resources needed to complete assigned project work. Financial Awareness: Able to accurately assess thefinancial impact of recommended designs/solutions. Demonstrates ability to understand relevant costs associated with assigned project work.
Requires weekend work hours. Requires overnight work hours. Requires holiday work hours (Federal and religious). Requires extended periods (1 or more weeks) of travel as needed. Requires travel up to 5% oftime.- as needed
Operates standard office equipment. Requires extended periods of computer use. Requires extended periods of sitting.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer.