The overall purpose of this position is to organize and perform detailed business analyses and predictive modeling for assigned projects within the Member and Geographic Activities (MGA) portfolio. The Business Analyst shall be responsible for researching, assembling and delivering data-driven assessments that support business process and/or functional recommendations which better enable MGA to plan and achieve desired goals. The Business Analyst will inform and support various MGA project teams responsible for the coordination and communication of activities involving staff and volunteers. The position shall act to provide the support that ensures timely and thorough project reviews and business decisions, and shall work to resolve issue(s) impacting project delivery or effectiveness.
The incumbent in this position must be able to assess, recommend, champion and implement cohesive IEEE / MGA business practices. The assigned priorities and initiatives for this position shall fully support the cost effective growth of MGA by closely analyzing and managing direct and allocated operational income and expenses. This role reports to the Senior Director of MGA Business Operations, and will operate within a matrix management structure to provide analytical, business process support as either an individual or team contributor with significant Organizational Unit (OU) influence.
• The MGA Sr. Business Operations Analyst will create new insights from predictive statistical modeling activities that target and deliver value to our staff and volunteers, working with and across involved OU’s in the assessment and development of assigned MGA initiatives.
• Retrieve the most critical data that will drive business growth and translate it to a meaningful and convincing story to senior management.
• Create, review and present accurate MGA business data analyses in support of informed management assessment(s) and decisions.
• Perform functional evaluations of MGA programs including the implementation and maintenance of reporting algorithms, monthly and annual supplemental schedules, and ad hoc information requests.
• Research and analyze various sources of information to gauge and report on the overall health and well-being of MGA activities and projects, and to make sound business recommendations. Be proactive in providing advice and guidance to improve results.
• Monitor and oversee assigned MGA business activities to support governance initiatives and fiscal effectiveness.
• Facilitate the assessment and requirements associated with internal IEEE operational practices such as the impact from governance, policy, and business system changes
• Establish a detailed understanding of all related products, e.g. Membership, Conference Events, and Publications.
• Develop and maintain relationships at the sponsor/OU-level, providing operational support and serving as a trusted partner in the pursuit of operational excellence.
• Communicate with all levels of management regarding MGA’s business needs and performance initiatives.
Operational / Business Process Support
• Support and create business cases for new MGA initiatives and key recommendations.
• Provide periodic project status reports to Management, Volunteers, Committees, etc., as needed.
• Review project activity and financial projections for accuracy and reasonability. Identify and/or resolve discrepancies and omissions.
• Provide general business analysis consultation and on-going support to MGA staff and volunteers in the selection of in-house and outsourced services or products.
• Identify and recommend areas of operational improvement (e.g. where revenues or expenditures are not aligned with comparable business line expectations or results, etc.)
• Maintain, as appropriate, trend and other related performance data.
• Collect, interpret, summarize and communicate budget and forecast data for assigned projects and programs.
• Support requests for ad-hoc reporting and analysis as needed by MGA leadership / staff partners.
• Monitor and forecast project results at specific intervals throughout the life of a program.
• Ensure appropriate financial coding and alignment of associated project revenues and expenses.
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance or Technology. MBA preferred.
• 5+ year’s relevant work experience in business, finance, or management / strategy consulting.
Skills & Other Requirements:
• Strong analytical, problem solving and decision-making capabilities. Must be able to articulate program and transactional details with precision.
• Proficiency in analytical reporting, presentation and business modeling. Must be able to assemble and perform complex financial analyses including budgeting, trend analysis and forecasting.
• Strong financial process knowledge, including an understanding of internal control requirements and accounting principles as well as contract and procurement policies.
• Strong and effective organizational skills with an ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects to completion within established goals.
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and many potential interruptions. Able to self-identify the methods and steps necessary to resolve problems and complete assignments.
• Articulate and effective communications (verbal and written) supporting interactions with members, volunteers, customers and internal and external business partners having multi-cultural backgrounds.
• Strong collaboration skills supporting frequent interaction with cross-functional, solution-oriented teams and geographically distributed leadership colleagues.
• Must be a technologically savvy knowledge worker who seeks out new solutions to business challenges.
• Proficiency in working with computers & software including Excel (including pivot tables, macros and advanced functions), Word, Powerpoint, Tableau, Oracle Business Intelligence and various other data-modelling tools. Familiarity with Siebel CRM, Netsuite and Hyperion are desirable.
• Must be able to understand and translate IEEE financial practices, policies and procedures, and assess the impact on MGA.