We are looking for an individual who is passionate about both data science and software engineering to join the Blue Planet Analytics team at Ciena. We will consider junior or senior candidates who are self-motivated, fast learners and excellent team players. The successful candidate will work from one of our R&D centers in Montreal or Ottawa.
Ciena Corporation is a global supplier of telecommunications networking equipment, software and services. We enable a high-scale, programmable infrastructure that can be controlled by intelligent applications. Our solutions form the foundation of many of the largest, most reliable and most sophisticated networks around the world.
Blue Planet Analytics is a new project leveraging Big Data and Artificial Intelligence technologies to address groundbreaking use-cases in the telecommunications industry. In the past year, our project has filed several patents and won multiple industry-innovation awards. This is a great opportunity to enter a cutting-edge project at an early phase, with virtually unlimited growth potential in the future!
The successful candidate will:
- Design, implement and test core components of Ciena’s Big Data Analytics platform:
- Data acquisition from a variety of devices (think “Internet of Things”)
- Preparation of data samples for machine learning applications
- Develop intelligent data-driven applications fortelecommunications use-cases:
- Measure trends and patterns, detect anomalies, classify events, make predictions
- Perform complex multivariate optimizations with constraints
- Be exposed to application development for commercial products
- Be exposed to internal prototypes and academic research
- Passion for software development
- Excellent understanding of data structures (hash table, graph…), object-oriented, functional and distributed programming, design patterns, algorithmic complexity (“big-O”), scalability
- Excellent understanding of data science: statistics, regressions, multi-variate analysis, supervised, unsupervised and reinforcement learning, time-series, data visualization
- Reliable, taking pride in delivering high-quality results on aggressive deadlines
- Team worker, generous, helpful, taking initiatives, synching with teammates
- Enjoy learning new things and solving challenging problems
- Experience with Scala, Python and/or Java programming (other languages an asset)
- Experience with Apache Hadoop/Spark ecosystem
- Experience with Machine Learning frameworks like TensorFlow, Torch or others
- Experience with Research & Development in a team environment