Working at West means having an opportunity to work by the side of our patients and customers, our global team members and the communities in which we operate – which all help contribute to a Healthier World.
At West, we are by the side of patients. The work we do impacts patients’ lives each and every day – our products are a critical part of healthcare delivery and we are proud of the role we play to improve patient health. We work by the side of our team members. We come together as one global team to deliver for our customers and help them address their challenges. We are a diverse, close-knit community of professionals, where everyone has a voice and opportunity to learn and grow through mutual trust and respect. With a 95 year plus history, we have a track record for success, which includes reported sales of $2.14B in 2020. We serve by the side of our community. Giving back is in our DNA—our team members across more than 50 sites globally are involved with hundreds of charities that have special meaning to them through our West Without Borders team member-led giving program.
The Data Scientist will work with a multidisciplinary team to design and develop innovative data-driven analytical products and solutions for complex business problems using advanced analytics, data mining, and machine learning.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with stakeholders throughout the organization to identify opportunities for leveraging sophisticated statistical and machine learning techniques on data problems to solve strategic business questions.
- Manage the retrieving, compiling, and formatting of large volumes of data from internal and external sources.
- Assess the effectiveness and accuracy of data sources and data gathering techniques.
- Perform data mining on large datasets (structured and unstructured), design algorithms, build models, and do analysis using advance modeling techniques to qualitatively understand the data and use results to implement change.
- Establish scalable, efficient automated processes for large-scale data analyses, model development, model validation, and model implementation.
- Develop processes and tools to monitor and analyze model performance and data accuracy.
- Interpret insights from built analytical tools
- Communicate data-driven insights and recommendations to a broad range of stakeholders.
- Visualize data for concise, clear delivery of highly relevant insights
- Collaborate closely with internal experts to operationalize data-driven solutions.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- PhD in computer science/math/stats/biostatistics/physics/computational chemistry or other quantitative field
- 1-3 years of experience
- 1 year of experience in healthcare industry (nice to have)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Computer Science:
- Distributed Computing
- CUDA / cuDNN
- Stats / Math:
- Random variables
- Use of models in the appropriate context
- Evaluation of model performance
- How to evaluate clusters
- How to apply statistical methods in a distributed fashion
- Experience using statistical computer languages to manipulate data and draw insights from large data sets.
- Experience working with and creating data architectures.
- Knowledge of a variety of machine learning techniques (clustering, decision tree learning, artificial neural networks, etc.) and their real-world advantages/drawbacks.
- Knowledge of advanced statistical techniques and concepts (regression, properties of distributions, statistical tests and proper usage, etc.) and experience with applications.
- Independent and creative approach to problem solving
- Ability to work in a global and virtual environment and to effectively prioritize and execute tasks
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and utilize sound judgment with an ability to operate with a sense of urgency.
- Ability to work collaboratively and on cross functional teams
- Willingness to travel globally
- Able to be aware of all relevant SOPs as per Company policy as they are related to the position covered by this Job Description
- Able to comply with the company’s safety policy at all times
- Able to comply with the company’s quality policy at all times.
Physical and Travel Requirements
- 15% travel, including global travel