- Research, design, implement, and apply a variety of advanced data science methods for multiple applications in a collaborative scientific environment.
- Actively participate with project scientists and engineers in defining, planning, and formulating experimental, modeling, and simulation efforts for complex problems stemming from national security applications.
- Propose and implement advanced analysis methodologies, collect and analyze data, and document results in technical reports and peer-reviewed publications.
- Contribute to grant proposals and collaborate with others in a multidisciplinary team environment, including academic and industrial partners, to accomplish research goals.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internal and external to the Laboratory.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Recent PhD in Machine Learning, Statistics, Computer Science, Mathematics or a related field.
- Demonstrated ability and desire to obtain substantial domain knowledge in fields of application and ability to communicate effectively with subject matter experts.
- Experience with developing, implementing and applying advanced statistical and machine learning models and algorithms.
- Demonstrated research ability, as documented by publications, reports, and presentations.
- Experience applying advanced data analysis methodologies for prediction and scientific discovery while integrating a thorough understanding of the underlying mechanisms generating the data in computer science, machine learning, computational statistics, and uncertainty quantification.
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills necessary to craft creative solutions to independently solve complex problems.
- Programming skills in at least one prototyping language Python/R/MATLAB, as well as one of C/C++/Fortran to enable high-dimensional data analysis on HPC platforms.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills to effectively collaborate in a team environment, present and explain technical information to technical as well non-technical audience, document work and write research papers.
- Experience with high-performance computing, GPU programming, parallel programming, cloud computing, and/or related methods.
- Demonstrated technical leadership in fields related to data science.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: None required.