Our research team’s core mission is protecting Microsoft 365 users across devices, identities, applications, and data via cross-category, tightly integrated threat protection for sec ops and sec-admins. If you believe that cyber-attacks can happen without ever dropping an executable on disk and that a forward rule and a token can do more damage than Powershell, this role may be for you!
Protecting M365 users is a big challenge, but with the signals we have built today in Microsoft Defender for Office 365 and Microsoft Cloud App Security, we are the best equipped company in the world to realize this opportunity and fundamentally change the security world, both for our customers and for attackers.
To help design our single federated protection solution spanning all M365 cloud security products, we are seeking a technical and motivated Data Science Lead to join Microsoft 365 Defender security research and manage a talented team of applied data science researchers across geography. Microsoft 365 Defender Security Research team is a global team building the products in charge of protecting Microsoft customers and ecosystem from emerging security threats, novel vulnerabilities and sophisticated intrusion. This involves the combination of alerts and raw telemetry across the enterprise ecosystem. The data is rich and enormous, and the potential for innovative data science is extensive.
If you are passionate about having huge impact in the security industry and enjoy leading world class security researchers to solve some of most critical, complex and impactful security problems, we would love to talk to you!
- Lead a security research team that conducts research which yield new insights, theories, analyses, data, algorithms, and prototypes that advance state-of-the-art protection against most advanced attacks targeting cloud, identities and endpoints
- Lead the team to investigate, analyze, and learn from security researchers, attackers, and real incidents to develop durable detection solution/strategies across the kill-chain or product/OS enhancements.
- Work with other internal and external teams to forge new and improve existing partnerships that help mature the product.
- Provide exemplary leadership in an exceptionally challenging and rewarding environment and influence the organization.
- Collaborate with other researchers, coordinators, and developers to improve the protection capabilities of the products.
- Act as a magnet for internal and external connections for the team, including both industry and academic collaborations
- Enable and foster the team to produce high quality collaborations, peer reviewed academic publications, industry white papers, and blog posts
The ideal candidate will demonstrate
- Planning and Execution: Ability to think holistically and strategically. Proven ability to plan, organize, and manage complex technical products.
- Communication: Conceptualize complex ideas quickly and convey those thoughts to others in a clear, effective and motivating manner. Able to conduct insightful, multi-faceted conversations with senior leadership and decision makers.
- Collaboration: Experienced collaborator able to work effectively across broad teams and influence stakeholders of all levels and of all disciplines across Microsoft.
- Cultural Leadership: Proven ability to lead cultural initiatives, having positive impact on team morale and fostering an environment of inclusion.
- Microsoft Values: As a member of the defender leadership Team, candidates must be excellent representatives of the Microsoft cultural attributes and leadership principles.
- Judgement: Excellent product and technical judgment. Consistently demonstrating maturity and intellectual curiosity, helping the team pursue the best ideas.
- 5+ years of data science experience with a background in rigorous data-driven inference methods (such as statistics, data mining, machine learning, and sound experimental design).
- BS or equivalent experience in computer science, engineering, or information technology.
- Proficient at working with and manipulating large data sets (i.e., billions of events per day), using modern big-data systems (e.g., Azure storage/compute) and scientific tools (e.g., Python, Spark, or Scala packages).
- 3+ years of people management experience, or relevant experience demonstrating readiness to step up into a people management role.
- 2+ years of experience managing a data science team for a product company
- Enterprise cyber security data science background
- Background in graph methods for cyber security
- Ability to take theory to practice rapidly
- Industry recognized author of security research papers, blogs, presentations, or books