We're building a Catholic meditation app. Think Calm or Headspace, but for prayer. We believe that people are searching for peace & spiritual growth, and that there is no surer way to find it than by learning to sit in silence with God: “Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest” (Mt 11:28). Our goal is to build something that combines the beauty of the Church’s spirituality with truly world-class tech & design.
We launched the app in the Apple and Google Play stores in December of 2018 and so far we’ve been humbled with incredible growth & traction. We just passed 1M+ downloads & over 30,000 5-star reviews. We're blessed to be backed by some of the best VC investors in the world and are excited to build out the team to help a lot more folks grow closer to God.
Tldr: We are looking for our first data scientist hire to join our rapidly expanding team to help provide insights for marketing and product using our app usage data and experiments run across our mobile and web platforms.
What You'll Do
- Data models: Provide operational insight for initiatives across our growth and product teams, helping to guide decision-making by finding data correlations, measuring the impact of product changes, and identifying key drivers across metrics like activation, engagement, retention, and virality.
- Begin content recommendation effort: Be the first person responsible for figuring out what content is shown for which users and in what order - an incredibly important part of both activation & retention.
- Be the expert: Be the subject matter expert for our data including retention, growth, customer trends, and usage.
- Build datasets: Work alongside the dev team to gather and build datasets needed for machine learning algorithms as we build out better recommendations for our users.
What You'll Love
- Mission: This work is incredibly humbling. Every day we hear amazing stories and we get the pleasure of working on something that’s impacting lives. One of our favorite user quotes: “I hate quoting an old, overused cliche, but I’ve been very lost. And I think for the first time in a while I may be found.”
- Ownership: You’ll report to Erich, our CTO, and will own the dev for the entire backend of our platform, including our APIs and data processing.
- Growth: You’ll get to journey with a VC-backed Silicon Valley startup from the beginning. When the company is this small, every employee is a core team member who is expected to help build the company as a whole as we settle into a culture and continue to expand the team.
- Flexibility: HQ will be in Chicago with the full team and would love to have everyone there. That being said, we’re super flexible with location / hours; don’t care when or where you work, just that it gets done.
- Comp: We pay competitive market rates both in terms of equity, cash, & benefits.
What We're Looking For
- Passion: First and foremost, we’re looking for someone excited and passionate about our mission. It makes it a lot more fun to actually care about what you’re working on!
- Experience: A foundation of 3+ years of experience in data analysis; strong knowledge of SQL; experience with Snowflake, Fivetran & Mixpanel; experience with creating visualizations using Tableau or Excel is a plus; experience with recommendation algorithms & content-based products is a plus
- Statistics: Familiarity with statistics will be necessary to ensure our analyses and experiments are statistically significant; experience designing experiments (identifying test variables, time of experiment, and implementation) is a plus as well