Together, we deliver smarter, faster and simpler solutions for a modern, innovative health system. We are also the career home to Data Scientists who bring compassion and passion, energy and focus to their work every day. If you strive to help people live healthier lives by building your career with a leader in health care, this is the career for you! Come share your expertise and your passion and do your life's best work.(sm)
We are looking for a Data Scientist who can analyze data, prepare reports, build predictive models, run regressions, understand the results and explain it so others can understand. You will be a consulting detective using advanced data analysis techniques to answer important business questions.
You will be empowered to support short and long term operational/strategic business activities; develop, enhance and maintain operational information and models that will have an impact on business decisions. You will get to work with a team of curious, knowledge-seekers just like you, using a variety of data sources to uncover insights and set priorities in various areas, such as clinical quality, member experience, and customer churn. Your real-world solutions will benefit not only our members but also our business partners in Clinical, Sales, Network, Product and Marketing.
You'll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Support assigned Region as primary responsibility
- Collaborate with team members and business partners to determine problem definition and requirements, manage expectations, and meet timelines
- Prepare data to support short and long term operational/strategic business activities through analysis
- Analyze, review, forecast, and trend complex data and communicate to team as required
- Apply advanced analytics and modeling to segment population and identify the most actionable and at-risk members for outreach and gap closure
- Discover insights and opportunities using statistical, data mining and visualization techniques
- Develop systems for more efficient reporting
- Propose innovative ways to look at problems using machine learning & data mining
- Document, summarize and communicate findings, verbally and visually, in a way that is easily understood by internal business partners
- Seek out new data sources that fill gaps and improve models
- Help source, clean and verify integrity of data used for analysis
- Support business needs around analytics, predictive modeling and business intelligence including ad-hoc and operational reports
- Cross-train with team members on software skills, data sources and other work
- Undergraduate degree or higher in Business, Technology, Finance, Economics, Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, or related field
- 3+ years of working with analytic tools such as SAS Enterprise Miner, SPSS, R Studio, Python, or others
- 3+ years of experience leading analytic projects including: validating data, interpreting results of analysis, identifying variances/trends/root cause and providing solutions to senior leaders
- 2+ years of experience with SQL and/or other querying software proficiency
- 1+ years of demonstrated Machine Learning, Predictive Analytics, and/or statistical analysis involving Regression, Clustering, Decision trees, etc.
- Intermediate level of proficiency with PC based software programs and automated database
- management systems required (Excel, Access, PowerPoint)
- Experience with healthcare data or in the healthcare industry
- 6+ years of increasing and relevant experience in analytics functions
- Experience with visualization tools such as Tableau
- Experience with UnitedHealth Group platforms
- Experience with ETL processes to extract, transform and load data across disparate systems
- Experience with Big Data environment
- Working experience using R, Hadoop, Hive, Spark, etc.
- Strong business acumen and professional communication skills (written & oral)