At Vanguard we innovate for the good of our investors, delivered through our world-class crew. As a Data Scientist you will lead multi-year division-wide technology related projects – applying technical and analytical expertise to produce project results that deliver value to IT & the Business.
This position requires a Data Science skill set to lead and manage analytical projects – requiring the ability to perform deep dive diagnostic, predictive, and prescriptive analytics to support data-driven business decision making.
In this role, you will:
- Develop queries and performs extensive programming to access, transform, and prepare data for statistical modeling.
- Identify and diagnose data inconsistencies and errors, documents data assumptions, and forages to fill data gaps.
- Engage with internal stakeholders to understand and probe IT & business processes in order to develop hypotheses. Bring structure to requests and translates requirements into an analytic approach.
- Guide test design, research design, and model validation. Provides statistical consultation services. Serve as the analytics expert on cross functional teams for large strategic initiatives and contributes to the growth of the Vanguard analytic community.
- Prepare and deliver insightful presentations and action recommendations. Communicate complex analytical findings and implications to IT & business partners.
- Manage projects or technical workstreams within a broader project or program. Develop, implement, and monitor project plans. Contribute expertise to major project deliverables, milestones, and required tasks.
- Provide insight on best practices and common obstacles based on prior experiences. Serve as a trusted advisor to ensure strategies are aligned with the overall department and business requirements.
- Communicate project status and issues regularly to stakeholders, including leaders, team members, and senior managers.
- Build and maintain effective relationships. Proactively foster communication between internal and external project stakeholders. Influence key decisions across stakeholder groups.
- Proactively identify, manage, and mitigate risk on technology projects. Communicate solutions on key issues or projects to management and stakeholders to obtain their input and buy-in as appropriate.
What it takes:
- Minimum of three years’ experience combined with two years of managing a project. Financial Services and technical experience preferred.
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent combination of training and experience in a related field
- Undergraduate degree in Analytics, Applied Mathematics, Economics, Statistics or related analytical field of study or equivalent combination of training and experience. Graduate degree preferred. (Computer Science, Engineering).
- Experience with data wrangling required – Programming skills to access, transform and prepare large scale data for statistical modeling. Experience utilizing statistical and machine learning methods and tools required.
Vanguard is not offering visa sponsorship for this position.
We are Vanguard. Together, we’re changing the way the world invests.
For us, investing doesn’t just end in value. It starts with values. Because when you invest with courage, when you invest with clarity, and when you invest with care, you can get so much more in return. We invest with purpose – and that’s how we’ve become a global market leader. Here, we grow by doing the right thing for the people we serve. And so can you.