The Data Scientist is a member of a highly-motivated CAA Data team responsible for accelerating the creation of opportunity through the strategic use of data across the organization.
The Data Scientist incorporates the latest developments in Data Science (statistical modeling, machine learning, simulation and advanced visualization) to solve complex business data problems. The Data Scientist will be able to identify a methodology to answer a business question, gather relevant data from multiple sources and evaluate its quality, perform exploratory data analysis and visualization, applied statistical methods to reach a reproducible answer, and present results that are usable in the context of CAA’s business. The Data Scientist also assists in testing and developing the technology infrastructure to turn Data Science experiments into usable products.
The position will report to the Head of Data Science.
- Data Wrangling:
- Identify data sources that can be useful to answer business questions
- Determine the optimal way to ingest this data into CAA’s available technology platforms
- Perform experiments on ingested data to evaluate quality and integrity
- Build data pipelines for ongoing data extraction
- Provide input to data engineers for building ongoing external and internal data ETL pipelines
- Data Exploration and Visualization:
- Use advanced visualization techniques to present data insights in a compelling way
- Apply advanced analytics to create metrics and KPIs that summarize insights from data
- Determine the right choice between Business Intelligence tools and/or open-source visualization tools based on business and technical requirements.
- Data Analysis:
- Apply advanced statistical methods for classification and prediction, including machine learning methods
- Document processes and analyses, using reproducible methods and scripts
- Provide advice to the business on strengths and limitations of statistical results, to avoid misuse
- Requirements gathering and Presentation of Results:
- Elicit, analyze, and document business requirements, from user groups and project stakeholders.
- Create and manage backlog of items by documenting business requirements and translating into technical specifications for solution implementation.
- Manage requirements prioritization, implementation estimation and dependencies; traceability from business capability to test case.
- Summarize results in business-friendly formats, and provide alternative levels of detail depending on business audiences
- Anticipate questions from business partners and share data insights on an ongoing basis.
- Minimum 3 years working in a Data Science/Business Analytics role with significant client exposure.
- Bachelor’s degree on a relevant field such a Mathematics, Science, Engineering, Computer Science, or Business.
- Master’s Degree in relevant discipline preferred.
- Proficiency using Python, R, or similar mathematical programming languages for advanced predictive modeling and visualization. Python expertise preferred.
- Proficiency using SQL and modern Database management.
- Experience with Spark or similar distributed computing platforms.
- Experience using BI platforms such as PowerBI or Tableau.
- Experience with Simulation modeling (System Dynamics, Agent-Based Simulation or Discrete Event Simulation) preferred.
- Experience with Deep Learning methods and applications (Keras, Torch, TensorFlow) preferred.
- Experience with Natural Language Processing methods and applications preferred.
- Experience with Excel and PowerPoint.
- Experience extracting insights from data.
- Experience successfully implementing analytical solutions with real-world business impact.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Exceptional oral and written communications skills.
- Demonstrated initiative and ownership of tasks and projects.
- Ability to prioritize, coordinate and complete tasks to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and in team environments.
- Ability to present complex problems in simple terms with great presentation skills.