Data Science Specialist - Periscope
5 - 7 years experience • Professional, Scientific & Technical Services
- Advanced degree (MBA, MS, PhD, etc.) in Economics/Mathematics/Physics/Statistics/Operations Research
- 5+ years of experience with advanced analytics and statistical techniques such as multivariate regression / predictive modeling, classification and regression tree (CART/CHAID), factor analysis, correspondence analysis, clustering, discriminant analysis, and Random Forest
- Experience designing and running “agile” analytics programs that prove business impact even in absence of well-structured data
- Confidence dealing with less-than-perfect data (e.g., cleaning, fusing, extrapolating)
- Experience in mixed modeling and working withbig data techniques is desirable
- Experience in probability theory, optimization techniques, and optimization algorithms
- Advanced SAS or R knowledge
- Ability to identify implications and drive toward business recommendation
- Strong communication skills with demonstrated ability to present in clear and concise manner
- Strong multi-tasking abilities, flexibility and patience in a fluid environment
- Team oriented and collaborative approach in working across teams and clients
- Passion for analytics and problem solving
- Ability to travel up to 50%
What You'll Do
You will work closely with McKinsey client service teams to help clients identify growth and margin opportunities through advanced analytics, and help clients transform their commercial processes to capture these opportunities.
As a seasoned data scientist, you lead project design and delivery. You will bring creative approaches to gathering, structuring, and fusing data and then building and running analytic models that provide insight into critical commercial processes – for example, cross-sell, churn reduction, dynamic pricing, etc. You will also leverage relevant statistics and analytics software tools, and help train junior team members on analytic best practices. Additionally, you'll apply practical judgment on how to deal with less-than-perfect data to hypothesize opportunities and help clients construct commercial pilots that validate value creation opportunities.
You will help ensure that data and analytic models are embedded at clients. In particular, you will advise clients on how to adapt analytic models into their commercial system environments. Working with software engineers and product managers, you'll advance Sales Solutions software assets and you'll also work with our McKinsey Digital teams to leverage capabilities in third-party software (e.g., SFDC).
Furthermore, you'll develop and maintain standard analytical models and analytical approaches that can be re-used across clients, as well as analysis cases/demos environments highlighting specific use cases. You will have the opportunity to develop and codify industry-level insights/knowledge and identify new areas of application/use cases.
Your success will be measured in the ability to deliver analysis and business changing insights to clients, as well as their ability to turn “one off” models into repeatable and more standard analytical approaches and models.