About the team
Zillow is looking for an outstanding Data Science Manager to join a growing team! Zillow is on a mission to give consumers certainty and control when selling their home. In particular, using our unparalleled data, and view into housing markets, to help build an elite platform for real estate marketplace optimization. In the Zillow Offers product, Zillow buys homes directly from interested homeowners, thereby sparing them the tremendous stress and effort of selling. Instead, we take that upon ourselves by quickly preparing these homes for the market and sell them to buyers. This is a key initiative at Zillow as we aim to define the future of real estate. Our team is tasked with using data from many sources, organizing it, analyzing it, and visualizing to help inform both short- and long-term decision-making. Our structure is very flat, and you will soon find yourself communicating directly with Senior Leadership. Each team member focuses on a cross-section of Zillow Offers organization.
Below are some of the areas you will focus on:
• Business - Build analytical insights to create Zillow's sell-side agent business. Uncover opportunities for innovation and assess performance of current initiatives.
• Product - Analyze how our consumers are interacting with our web and app products to ensure we are providing them with a delightful experience.
• Sales - Analyze the intersection of human behavior, incentive structures, and sales process to build a more efficient sales force.
• Pricing - Develop and implement pricing strategies that deliver the best value possible for our clients and consumers (Premier Agents, home sellers).
• Tools - Manufacture data-focused information products from billions of data points we collect every single day for internal and external clients.About the role
Once you are here, you'll work to make important, strategic decisions that influence the direction of the company. More specifically:
- Lead and encourage a small but mighty team of data scientists and push Zillow Offers efforts ever forward within our competitive space.
- Build relationships with other data scientists, big data and machine learning engineers, applied scientists, designers, UX researchers, product developers, and marketers to develop a common language and approach to analyzing and communicating information and insights.
- Work with leaders in product, marketing, design, and analytics to compile robust data sets describing Zillow's user engagement efforts to determine the efficiency of our initiatives and to identify opportunities for new initiatives.
- Dive into Zillow's internal data (think Hive, Presto, SQL Server, Redshift, Python, Mode Analytics, Tableau) to develop tools that monitor important metrics, conduct segmentation, predictive and pathing analyses, analyze AB-test results, inform test design, and build forecasts for user engagement.
- Evaluate and summarize the performance of user engagement across all of Zillow's products in weekly, monthly, and quarterly meetings to keep existing efforts on track, measure progress toward goals, and identify areas for improvement.
Who you are
We're looking for a seasoned data scientist/manager that has: (1) the leadership experience to mentor, develop, and organize a team of data scientists covering a wide range of business areas, (2) the technical skills to absorb and disentangle tons of data,(3) the communication skills to work with a diverse set of partners to develop and implement multiple concurrent and complex project roadmaps, and (4) the tenacity to embrace and complete a challenging work stream. More specifically:
- You have an Undergraduate or master's degree in a quantitative field (e.g. science, engineering, economics, statistics).
- You have 5-7 years of work experience involving quantitative data analysis and complex problem solving (preferably related to consumer-facing internet products).
- You have foundational analytical skills (e.g., total command of Excel and SQL, experience using Python, NumPy, pandas, scikit-learn) and are a Tableau pro.
- You are confident when talking about methods used in content personalization, feature testing, and feature development, and can turn analytical results into actionable strategies.
- You have worked with gigantic data sets and are experience accessing those data sets (even if they're in JSON) with Hive and Presto.
- You can cobble together insights from raw Google Analytics data in your sleep and would be comfortable aligning those click streams with raw data ingested directly from our own products to derive insights that positively influence the business.
- You have strong written and verbal communication skills and work well on teams of all sizes with representatives from various technical and non-technical disciplines.
- You have experience successfully coordinating and leading large, long-term, multi-team, multi-disciplinary projects, and setting and managing boundaries with your collaborators and stakeholders.