As a manager on the data science team, you will own a critical piece of the Mozilla organization. Data scientists work closely with our policy, legal, and business development teams to enable decisions and contribute insights that push our mission forward and in the right direction. They build models and design experiments that improve our understanding about the operation of our business and products to ensure that we are optimizing our decisions for maximum impact on the market. We are looking for an opinionated manager with technical chops who is excited to marshal a data science team to shape the future of the Web. You will manage a small team of data scientists and will be responsible for career mentorship and technical guidance. You will work with leadership to define and execute strategies that demonstrate the value of the data contributed by our users while maintaining an ethical set of principles to guide your practice.
As a data science manager...
- You are comfortable steering a team of 2-7 data scientists to align with business priorities, legal and policy agendas, and Mozilla's greater mission
- You pride yourself on your ability to communicate technical concepts to diverse audiences across Mozilla
- You define requirements for data scientists to other parts of the Mozilla organization
- You collaborate with cross-functional management to create new initiatives and refine existing processes that increase the impact of the data science team
- You possess a strategic mindset and find motivation in creatively solving problems
- You establish best practices for data science workflows and know how to create an environment and team culture that enables data scientists to perform at their best
- You have a strong desire to contribute to Mozilla's mission through data science
Your professional profile
- Up to 3 years of industry experience in the data science (or related) profession and up to 1 year of experience managing data scientists or other similar management experience. It is fine that you may be relatively early in your career, and we appreciate the expectation that you will grow in this role.
- You have experience with a breadth of analytical methodologies and possess a solid foundation in numerous statistical techniques
- You also have experience with common data science technologies, namely SQL, Python, or R, as well as familiarity with conventional code and programming concepts
- You have strong communication skills; experience speaking at industry or academic conferences a plus
- You consider contributing to a collaborative and open team culture an important responsibility