General Atomics (GA), and its affiliated companies, is one of the world's leading resources for high-technology systems development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to remotely piloted aircraft, airborne sensors, and advanced electric, electronic, wireless and laser technologies.
General Atomics Electromagnetic Systems (GA-EMS) designs and manufactures first-of-a-kind electromagnetic and electric power generation systems. GA-EMS' expanding portfolio of specialized products and integrated system solutions support critical fleet, space systems and satellites, missile defense, power and energy, and process and monitoring applications for defense, industrial, and commercial customers worldwide.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Data Science Architect in our Electromagnetic Systems (GA-EMS) Group located in Rancho Bernardo, CA. This position is for a Data Science Architect for EMS programs who makes high-level design choices, dictates technical standards, including coding standards, tools or platforms, and acts as a liaison to hardware designers. This individual will choose a standard way to pursue application development, create, define and choose data analytics approaches, application frameworks, promote reuse in the organization, observing and understanding the broader system environment, and subdividing complex projects into manageable pieces. Responsible for grasping the function of data structures, understanding the interactions and dependencies among components, and communicating these concepts to the customers, analytics engineers and software developers.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides leadership and act as an advisor for determining technical objectives for user requirements and specifications and plan analytics within the broader organizational scope.
- Defines system solutions based on the user/client needs, cost and required integration with existing applications, systems or platforms.
- Documents and communicates the architecture ensuring that the team is using the architecture and using it correctly, stages its development in a timely fashion so progress can be made before it is complete and makes sure that the system and software architectures are in synchronization.
- Acts as the emissary of the architecture, ensures that management understands the architecture to the detail necessary, as well as interacts with all stakeholders to ensure their needs are being met, resolves technical problems and disputes, and makes tradeoffs.
- Formulates detailed long-range plans for the implementation of systems and software solutions including language, coding, platform, resource requirements, testing, and documentation, while considering evolutionary paths and new technology insertions.
- Plans and coordinates the maintenance of solutions including debugging, maintenance, and updating to ensure viability in an evolving environment.
- Plan for future applications based on new developments in engineering and computer technology, manage risk identification and risk mitigation strategies associated with the architecture.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
- Typically requires a bachelors degree, masters degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience as follows; eighteen or more years of experience with a bachelors degree, sixteen or more years of experience with a masters degree, or thirteen or more years with a PhD. May substitute equivalent engineering experience in lieu of education.
- Experience with Python, data analysis, cloud architectures, big data, machine learning, artificial intelligence, predictive model building, creating algorithms and running simulations is a plus.
- Prefer candidates to have Engineering, Computer Science or Information Systems degrees along with progressive architecture development.
- Demonstrated project and/or program leadership skills including organizing, planning, scheduling, and coordinating workloads to meet established project deadlines or milestones.
- Has demonstrated leadership ability by directing/developing the solution(s) to highly technical and complex engineering problems, and has been a key participant in attracting and retaining engineering business as well as professional staff. Must possess the ability to: (1) guide the resolution of unusually complex technical problems; (2) champion the development of new concepts and principles; and, (3) serve as an expert spokesperson on those concepts and principles. Must also possess excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills, be customer focused, and able to work on a self-initiated basis or in a team environment.
- Customer focused, formulates plans based on the development of innovative new designs in resolving advanced software development problems.
- Must be able to work on a self-initiated basis and in a team environment.
- Able to work extended hours as required.
- US citizenship is required.