Washington Technology Solutions (WaTech) operates the state's core technology infrastructure, the central network and data center and supports enterprise applications. WaTech also houses the State Office of the Chief Information Officer and the Office of Cyber Security. Our customers include state agencies, county, city and tribal governments as well as nonprofits. We enable public agencies to better serve the people of Washington through technology.
What would you be doing in this role?
As a member of the Network Operations Center (NOC), the Data Network Technician provides advanced technical knowledge and considerable discretion to analyze, design, install, maintain, troubleshoot and resolve problems for major and complex statewide data or metropolitan data and voice networks across multiple platforms and environments with focus on Internet Protocol Security (IPSec) and VPN (Virtual Private Network). This position is responsible for maintaining standards and enhancements and facilitating the installation and maintenance of complex, statewide networking systems. Ensure operation, optimal system performance and efficiency of the statewide data network.
- Analyzes the health of the network and initiates remedial actions to minimize the impact of service incidents and system events.
- Responsible for proactively and effectively ensuring the on-going operational maintenance of high visibility, mission critical services through procedural and change management controls.
- Monitors services, identifies and resolves performance impacting issues.
- Responsible for network traffic analysis, capacity planning, trouble resolution and problem determination of the State Metro Optical Ethernet (SMON), the Local Area Network (LAN), the Wide Area Network (WAN), the Optical Network System/Multi-Service Provisioning Platform (ONS/MSPP) of multiple network elements in a single platform on the State Government Network (SGN), the Intergovernmental Network (IGN), the Public Government Network (PGN), and the Multi-Protocol Label Switching (MPLS).
- Analyzes advanced hardware/software monitoring and diagnostic tools such as Wireshark packet captures, SIEM logs, Firewall logs, Network routing and switching logs, SNMP Traps, Optical test tools to test network configurations and make modifications or suggestions that have a state wide, agency wide, network-wide impact.
- Identify network incompatibilities; determines appropriate techniques and approach to promptly resolve issues. Analyze and assess new capabilities and provide recommendations to ensure optimal performance
Here's what we are looking for:
- Four (4) years Information Technology experienceworking with Cisco routing and switching equipment in a production environment within the last four (4) years.
- A minimum of two (2) years' experienceworking with customers to provide support on network equipment both by phone and email communications.
- Data networkexperience that includes IP addressing and knowledge of network protocols, QoS and security concepts.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate. Ability to translate technical terms to non-technical audiences.