We are seeking an experienced data infrastructure engineer to join our team to make a significant impact on our profitable and growing business. Theorem's engineering team is one of the key drivers of our business and is led by a highly-technical, enterprise systems software engineer with a background in cloud computing and a PhD in computer science. Our small, collaborative, and nimble team of software engineers bring a diverse breadth of professional industry backgrounds, from developing high-performance trading systems to mobile platforms and educational software startups, and fintech firms.
What you'll do
- You will understand our universe of data and organize it, enabling almost every department in the Firm to make effective decisions
- You will be focused on automating data workflows—from data ingestion to data consumption
- You will want and demand the highest quality of data by implementing processes, systems, and testing to ensure our Data Warehouse is the source of truth
- You will collaborate with most, if not all groups, within the firm — finops, research, investor relations, management — to understand their data needs and build systems and tools for users to easily setup data pipelines for data consumption
- You'll learn a tremendous amount about the credit markets, unsecured consumer lending, and marketplace lending platforms.
- You'll have the opportunity to learn about business strategy and execution, platform partnerships, investment portfolio construction, research and engineering collaboration, and many other operational areas.
- Your intellectual curiosity and hard work will be welcome contributions to our culture of knowledge sharing, transparency, and shared fun and achievement
What you bring to the team
- 2+ years' aggregate experience as a Software Engineer as your full-time job, or spread out over 3-5 years of significant open source contributions as a student or data scientist
- Demonstrated interest in data infrastructure, SQL, Kafka, streamlining ETL processes and software engineering involving data more generally
- Willingness to code in Python. We welcome developers of any background, as long as you can pick up Python
- Willingness to get your hands dirty, understand a new problem deeply, and build things from scratch when they don't already exist
- Undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or similar disciplines from rigorous academic institutions
- None of the below are required, but any would be a huge plus:
- Operational experience with automated monitoring and alerting, on-call rotation participation, incident response, and process automation
- Experience coding in Python
- Proficiency with statically-typed languages. Haskell (double points!), Rust, C++, Java, etc. We use mypy and are increasing the number of static languages we use
- Experience with numpy/scipy/pandas
- Experience with operating software on cloud platforms such as AWS or GCP
- Familiarity with CNCF technologies, such as Kubernetes, Prometheus, and gRPC
- Experience with data warehousing technologies such as Amazon Redshift and Google BigQuery
- Experience in Finance or Fintech