JOB SUMMARY: Under minimal guidance, formulates and defines business transformation scope and objectives through research and fact-finding combined with an understanding of applicable business processes, systems, and industry requirements. With this knowledge, designs or modifies moderately complex business processes and the corresponding information technology solutions. Includes analysis of business and user needs, documenting requirements, and revising existing business processes as necessary. Guides and advises less experienced staff. Competent to work in the initiate phase of solution delivery life cycle and considers the business implications of the application of technology to the current business environment.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Reports to Manager/Director
1. Under minimal guidance, partners with management and peers to transform their businesses through the strategic application of people, processes, and technology. Under moderate guidance, participates in strategic planning process for his/her department by identifying complexities, dependencies, and redundancies in the business model.
2. Under minimal guidance, participates in business process analysis/design, stakeholder needs assessments, and cost/benefit analysis in an effort to align information technology solutions with business strategies and directions. Under minimum guidance, participates in the planning of business-specific technology plans. Consults with functional groups within IT and internal business clients to develop short-term business transformation plans.
3. Develops and implements moderately complex new business processes or modifications to existing processes. Acts as an internal business product and process consultant responsible for communicating to customers, management and external sources.
4. Conducts analysis of moderately complex business and user needs, definition of business requirements and recommendations of appropriate solutions and business strategies. Provides business process management and technical consulting and expertise to management in resolving moderately complex business problems.
5. Under minimal guidance, identifies the critical elements of a business process that need to be monitored and managed. Under minimal guidance, reports performance in a way that generates a balanced and rational response from senior and junior management.
6. Under minimum guidance participates in analysis and design of organizational structures, roles, responsibilities, governance, staffing, and sourcing to support business goals, strategies, and process architecture. Participates in department level change such as change in business model, restructuring operations, new technologies, re-engineering, etc.
7. Formulates, defines and drafts moderately complex systems scopes and objectives through research and fact-finding combined with a thorough understanding of business systems and industry requirements. Negotiates compromises arising from conflicting customer and systems requirements.
8. Trains customers on business, technological, societal, and environmental trends to support strategies for improving business performance with particular emphasis on emerging business practices, technologies, and methodologies that are applicable to the insurance and financial services industry. Provides demos and walk-through.
9. Implements and distributes strategic solutions and methodologies for an assigned business unit.
10. Involved in evaluating and researching new and existing products, procedures and/or workflow needs associated with business systems for the company. Evaluates new IT developments and evolving business requirements and recommends appropriate systems alternatives and/or enhancements to current systems.
11. Analyzes and researches new and existing products, procedures, and/or workflow needs associated with business systems. Analyzes releases for regulatory and compliance changes to determine effect on business and application processes as well as operations.
12. Involved with the modification of procedures to solve moderately complex business problems by the innovative application of technology. May facilitate quality improvement efforts.
13. Assists in the implementation of compelling business cases to accomplish business objectives. Assists with the identification, assessment and mitigation of business risks associated with the current operating model and/or desired target state operating models.
14. Performs all other duties as assigned.
Education: Undergraduate studies in business, insurance, mathematics, computer science or related field is preferred. Prefer degree or professional insurance coursework.
Knowledge: Sound knowledge of standards, best practices, methodologies, and frameworks associated with the insurance/financial services industry, business process management, and the IT discipline. Must have sound knowledge of a wide variety of tools, concepts, and techniques of business process modeling, analysis, and design. General knowledge of emerging industry, competitor, customer demography, regulatory, and market trends as they relate to insurance, reinsurance, and related financial services industries. Basic understanding of new technologies and developments in the technology industry and their application to the Nationwide environment. Thorough understanding of the systems development life cycle. Knowledge of project management concepts and techniques are required. Sound knowledge of facilitation, performance management, organizational design, and organization change management.
Experience: Three years of experience in business consulting and analysis involving business process analysis and design, performance improvement, problem solving, planning, coordinating and organizing.
Skills: Demonstrated ability to identify needs for the purpose of defining and distilling requirements. Demonstrated ability to work with the user community and project team to define scope. Must have the ability to analyze and design organizational structures, roles, responsibilities, governance, staffing, and sourcing. Demonstrated ability to steer organization-wide change such as change in business model, restructuring operations, new technologies, mergers, major collaborations, etc. Must have project and process management skills. Must possess strong oral and written communication skills to interact with all levels within the company as well as external parties.
Staffing exceptions to the above minimum job requirements must be approved by the: Director and Human Resources
Overtime eligibility: Not Eligible (Exempt)
Working Conditions: Normal office environment; extended and/or non standard work hours as needed.
ADA: The above statements cover what are generally believed to the principal and essential functions of this job. Specific circumstances may allow or require some associates assigned to the job to perform a somewhat different combination of duties.
Job Evaluation Activity: Evaluated November 2005 SMP
Job Family/Function: MIS/BUC
Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company, its affiliates and subsidiaries comply with the Iowa Smokefree Air Act. Smoking is prohibited in all enclosed areas on or around company premises as well as company issued vehicles. The company offers designated smoking areas in which smoking is permitted at each individual location. The Act prohibits retaliation for reporting complaints or violations. For more information on the Iowa Smokefree Air Act, individuals may contact the Smokefree Air Act Helpline at 888-944-2247 or click here.