ROLE SUMMARY - DATA GOVERNANCE MANAGER, ASSET MANAGEMENT
Northern Trust Asset Management (NTAM) is an over a trillion dollar investment management firm entrusted by investors around the globe to help them navigate changing market environments, so they can confidently realize their long-term objectives.
NTAM has embarked on an ambitious plan to modernize its data and analytics capabilities and embed a data-driven culture throughout the organization. The Data Governance Manager will mature data governance practices such as cataloging, data lineage, master data management, data quality rules, and profiling, while also possessing some domain knowledge in areas such as security master, account master, product, and client master, ideally in the asset management/investment management domain. This person will work with internal stakeholders from various asset management divisions as well as Northern Trust enterprise data governance team to develop necessary rules, metrics, controls, policies and procedures as well as automate those wherever applicable, to create a next generation data operations environment, with the end goal of creating high quality data across the organization.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Build and lead a world-class Data Governance team focused on delivering high quality data across NTAM. Responsibilities include:
- Identify and constantly refine Data Domains and Critical Data Elements for the asset management business
- Develop and implement data quality rules for Critical Data Elements for various domains
- Participates in projects, being the data governance expert, to help identify the right datasets and datapoints for critical data needs
- Works with business owners to define and establish definitions and strategies around data governance consistent with operational goals
- Collaborates with enterprise data governance teams, technical data leads, data analysts and IT areas to ensure data quality and availability
- Lead the Asset Management data governance working group activities. Act as the spokesperson for the importance of data governance and its application to successful business strategies
- Lead initiatives to strengthen the first line of defense (1LOD) by instilling a culture of data-driven continuous improvement to reduce operational risk and drive operational excellence.
- Provides data and process documentation needed for compliance and regulatory support.
- Produces data quality metrics and KPIs across various data domains and data assets and measures progress around data coverage, quality, availability, privacy etc.
- Identify automation opportunities in operational processes around metadata management, lineage and quality and works with IT and other teams to incorporate those.
NECESSARY KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Strong experience with data governance and management principles and practices like master data management, metadata management, cataloging, data lineage, data quality and data privacy etc.
- Demonstrated passion and experience in building a strong data governance team
- Experience with asset management or capital markets data such as financial securities data, risk data, trading data, Account, Product, and Client data.
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills with a automation mindset
- Experience with data governance tools (like Collibra, IGC, Informatica etc.), data quality tools (like EDQ, Ataccama, IBM Information Analyzer etc.)
- Familiarity with databases (like SQL Server or Oracle), data warehouses, data lakes (and their cloud versions like Redshift, Databricks, Azure Data Lake or Snowflake) and Data Ops tools (like Zaloni, DataIQ etc.)
- Strong proficiency with SQL (data definition and data manipulation)
- Ability to automate data tasks with basic programming languages such as Python or similar
- Experience using financial data sources such as Factset, Reuters, Bloomberg.
- Understanding of data modeling, especially in the context of data warehouse helpful.
NECESSARY EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
- 10+ years of experience in data governance and management
- At least 3+ years in leading a team and 3+ in asset management/investment management.
- Bachelors degree in field like Math, Data Science, Engineering, Statistics, Finance (with focus on analysis), etc; MBA or Masters in related field preferred but not required.
- Certification in data governance or management like DGSP or CDMP is highly desired.
ABOUT NORTHERN TRUST
Northern Trust provides innovative financial services and guidance to corporations, institutions and affluent families and individuals globally. With over 130 years of financial experience and nearly 20,000 partners, we serve the world’s most sophisticated clients using leading technology and exceptional service.
WORKING WITH US
As a Northern Trust partner, you will be part of a flexible and collaborative work culture, which has a strong history of financial strength and stability. Movement within the organization is encouraged, senior leaders are accessible, and you can take pride in working for a company that is committed to strengthening the communities we serve!
We recognize the value of inclusion and diversity in culture, in thought, and in experience, which is why we are honored to receive the following awards in 2021:
- Gender Equality Index Member, Bloomberg
- Top Financial & Banking Company, Black EOE Journal, Hispanic Network Magazine, Professional WOMAN'S Magazine
We’d love to learn more about how your interests and experience could be a fit with one of America’s best banks and most sustainable companies! Build your career with us and apply today.