We are looking for a Data Engineer to join our team of experienced data engineers, reporting engineers, data scientists and actuaries to help our underwriting businesses to evaluate, price and manage their risks & business operations.
The successful candidate will have a passion for creating and managing innovative data assets, and will work closely with the tech team, the underwriters and the operations team. You will also enjoy direct interaction with highly skilled and experienced underwriters, brokers, and insurance experts – the people who are pushing the industry forward.
- Help to acquire, create and manage innovative data assets for the team. These assets draw from various sources – internal underwriting systems, external claims systems, flat files, databases, external APIs etc.
- Alongside your UK-based counterpart, you will manage the pipelining (acquisition, ETL, storage, access), engineering (cleansing, feature creation / selection, warehousing, data marts, cubing), and understanding (documentation, exploration, communication) of this data
- Work closely with the whole Data Science & Actuarial team to identify patterns, trends, outliers, exceptions in the underwriting businesses operational and performance data: help to understand root causes, predict future patterns and recommend management actions
- Work closely with the Tech team to integrate new in-house underwriting systems and data assets, and advise on systems architecture and transactional database design
- Help us develop streamlined external-facing commercial data products
- As a new venture we have very little technical debt, so you will also have an opportunity to help shape our frameworks and methodologies.
- Support the team in stakeholder engagement and business process
- Minimum of a degree in a quantitative subject, ideally containing computer science, software engineering, database, or data analysis modules
- 3 to 5 years' experience working as a data engineer or software engineer with a strong focus on data, ideally in financial services (insurance, banking, instech, fintech)
- Strong and proven capability in dimensional data modelling: to design, implement and use dimensional database / datamart structures to ensure data is organised, aggregated and indexed effectively and ready for downstream reporting, analysis and statistical modelling
- Strong and proven capability in data acquisition: to design data capture systems, collect or stream data from a variety of systems, to creatively transform, manipulate, and methodically describe it
- Strong and proven capability with database administration: to maintain transactional and reference data, with migration alongside product development to ensure logical consistency
- Strong and proven capability with data validation and verification: to understand the pitfalls in different data sources and to perform necessary provenance and lineage checks, and implement various data testing
- A passion for quality software coding, data and analytics and some knowledge of statistics
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment and desire for good documentation, exceptional delivery, effective organisation, and high-quality communication with team and customers
- Strong and proven technical skills in MS SQL Server, SSIS, SSRS, Python, Git, Bash / Powershell
- Desirable technical skills in MS Azure (inc DataFactory), Apache Airflow, PowerBI, Linux (Redhat / CentOS)